is tea safe for little ones?

is it ok for my one and a half year old to have tea?

TARA26

Asked by TARA26 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Like with anything, everything is fine in moderation. A small amount of tea here or there is fine. Feel free to water it down. It doesn't really offer much nutrietion, so I'd make sure your child is still eating and getting milk or juice and that the tea is in addition to that.

Tea can stunt growth. Not sure if it's just the caffine in it or the tea itself, but again, in moderation it's fine.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it OK to give him/her tea. But tea has a small amount of caffeine in it. If that bothers you try herbal tea.

Answer by louise2 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Herbal tea is safer since it has no caffeine. Tea is as bad as coffee if not worse. Give them hot chocolate instead.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Keep in mind there is caffeine in chocolate, too.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous 6:07 is right chocolate has caffeine in it. And regular tea has less caffeine than coffee does BOOBEAR666.

Answer by louise2 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Black tea runs at about 100mg of caffeine per 8oz cup. Chocolate does have caffeine. Herbal tea, so long as it isn't something that is designed for a certain ailment or something of the like is good though. My son has been drinking tea since I can remember, and he loves it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• A little bit now and then should be fine. You can always "water" it down with milk.
    My husband's 95 yr old grandmother and all her siblings drank tea as young children because there were so many of them in the house and they didn't have enough money for milk.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My oldest really likes Lipton's green tea but too much made him sick; and my youngest likes to drink tea with me! (both boys). I don't give them anything other than green tea or chamomile & all I buy is decaf anyway.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Black tea and green tea have caffeine in it, which is a stimulant drug. That is why I'm about to go and get my second cup of the morning. I NEVER let my toddler have caffeine. I limit her milk chocolate intake to almost nil (it gives her eczema, anyways, so she only has it at birthday parties) and don't give her dark chocolate. Let's compare caffeine content by liter, because serving size differs for different drinks. Depending upon how it is brewed, coffee has between 386 and 845 mg per liter. Black tea has 281 and green tea has 169; Starbucks coffee has 650-700. In contrast Coke has 96 mg/liter and Red Bull has 320. So, tea is more like Red Bull than it is like coffee. Off to have my English Breakfast...
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Decaf black tea has about as much caffeine as an ounce of chocolate, so I feel safe with that.
    jspaghetti

Answer by jspaghetti at 3:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009