I need some advice on assistance for low income families who cloth diaper.

I applied for Miracle Diapers earlier this week and got a denial letter yesterday. They said it was because I had recieved diapers from other sources. I guess they mean diaperswappers because I have done a couple of FFS on there. I'm just wondering if there are any other organizations that help out like this. I've checked my local craigslist, freecycle and pregnancy centers. I've been doing lots of trading on here and diaperswappers, but I'm out of money now, and don't have enough diapers. I know covers can be made from old sweaters, but I don't have any, and I don't have a goodwill or anything in the town I live in. I'm wondering if there are any other organizations that offer any assistance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mommy2Macy

Asked by Mommy2Macy at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard of a place to give assistance with cloth diapers but where I live in TN food pantries and churches with food pantries help with disposable diapers (like 10 at a time) and I bought my cloth diapers off ebay. If you can just get the cheap cloth diapers (ppl use for burp cloths) and vinyl training pants it would be better than having nothing at all (kmart or walmart-maybe $20 at most pk of 12 diapers and 3-6 pants).
    mlt4marykay

Answer by mlt4marykay at 1:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I posted on my free cycle that I was in search of cloth diapers and somebody gave me some. :) Also go to www.wishuponahero.com GREAT website.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If you don't sew much, you could use hand towels, just fold like a prefold. If needed you could add a washcloth or towel in the middle as an extra absorbent layer. For covers you could cut a couple pieces of polyester fleece (anti pill or blizzard work fine) a bit larger then a disposable and just hand stitch the sides. You use pins to attach it. You could possibly use a shower curtain for the same purpose. Another idea is to use a shower cap and just cut out the leg holes. Thse are not the greatest suggestions, but better than no diapers at all. If you sew, this web site has some frugal diaper ideas, http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html.
    LippyMcTiccy

Answer by LippyMcTiccy at 5:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009