diaper changing is a nightmare

our 22 month old despises having her diaper changed, and squirms and kicks like crazy almost everytime. this makes it very stressful and overly difficult. any tips on how to keep her still?

TARA26

Asked by TARA26 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my girlfriend gives her son a book or toy to play with during diaper changes and it is usually a special toy or book that he doesnt get to play with any other time so he is excited to see it. As another mom mentioned it may be time to start potty training. If she isnt ready yet you can get her ready by giving her a sticker every time she has a good diaper change and carry that reward over to when she starts using the potty
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My youngest found out that she likes to play with wipes during changes. So....when I change her I pull out an extra wipe and let her play with it. I tell her to wipe her nose or she just sits there and waves it around. Try getting her a little something to hold onto for changes. Good luck...it's not fun.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've always sung to my twins, given them a toy, the wipes, a tube of diaper cream, anything to distract them to make the process go quick. Sometimes after I get the diapers off I let them roll over to "get it out of their system" then I say, "hey, I can't put a diaper on you unless you're on your back so let's roll over" then I help them roll over and work fast to get the clean diaper on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My son does that too....I give him something i never let him play with (but he always wants it), like the tv remote, telephone, baby nail clippers or one of his brothers toys. It silences him instantly...then you've got to take it away hmmm. He never cries long.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Might be time to start potty training. my dd loves to sit on the potty and wipe herself then I can put a pull up on and let her go. She's not a big fan of laying down to put the diaper back on, so the pull ups helps.
    Anonymous

• I have a book that I keep on her changing table specifically for this reason! It makes noises and is one of those 'touch' books, so it keeps her distracted. Hope that helps, mama!
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My son gets to watch TV or play with a toy. I talk to him through it or sing or we count together. I let him have a wipe and he wipes down there once I have him cleaned up and he lets me know if he wants butt cream. Sometimes he still fights me so I just let him run around for a few more minutes and tell him in 5 minutes we're having a diaper change.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 4:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Start working with the potty!!!!!!!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Be prepared. If you want your baby to lie still for a diaper change, you have to do your part to make the process as quick as possible. Have all the necessary supplies already in place so that she can be up and moving again as soon as possible

Keep him occupied. While you know the importance of regular diaper changes, your baby sees it as a boring time away from all the fun. So, to get him to lie still, try bringing some fun into the diaper change. Offer him toys and books, and sing or play with him during the diaper changing process
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 5:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Give her something out of the ordinary. Give her your cell phone or remote control to get her to lie still for a while. She'll be so wrapped up in playing with a forbidden item that you just may get the diaper changed with no wiggling. A piece of masking tape or a sticker is equally fun

Get him involved. In order to get your baby to want to lie still while you change his diaper, you need to involve him in the process. Let him hold the clean diaper, pull the wipes out of the container and help out any way that he can.
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 5:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009