Tantrums

How do you deal with the never ending, gut wrenching tantrums?

lisa31

Asked by lisa31 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Describe never-ending....my two year old had tantrums from the day he was born (among other things) and it turned out he was autistic... Tell me more about your situation.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son is also sutistic and we deal with tantrums on a daily basis. The best thing I found to work with him is to get him up and hold him real tight against my chest and sing a soothing song in his ear. Usually when he is tantrum mode its bcause his senses is overloaded. I know it is very trying on your nerves but stay strong. If he is a normal heatly child he will prob outgrow it!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• don't get mad. just pick the kid up, take them to their room and put them down. tell them they have to stay there until they can cut that out and be a big kid adn walk away. you may have to do this several times but it worked on my kids. whatever you do, do not give in.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• He just yells, all the time. If I don't hear him or understand him the first one or two times, he just yells. If he doesn't get his way or what he wants he'll yell, cry, scream, whatever. I DO NOT give in. When I say no, that's my final decision. I think my husband was giving in much more, so he got used to that and thought he could pull it off with me. Just hard to keep him from yelling or throwing a fit if he doesn't get his way. I don't want to continually do time out, I do that for when he hits or something. He's been a little better, it's just the yelling that's hard to take.
    lisa31

Answer by lisa31 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2008