Trying to take my two kids on a road trip this weekend to washington DC

Hi everyone I am trying raise some cash for gas so that the kids and I can take a roadshow to DC for inaugaration. I created a wishing well if you would like to donate. You should check this out as it is a great wasy to earn money for scouting PTO etc: http://www.ourwishingwell.com/registries/view/61886411

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Travel

• I live outside DC as well as work in DC, be wary- the gov. is closing down many major roadways in and out of the city, as well as most all hotels are booked, or overpriced. Not trying to be a debby downer- just filling you in on the skinny!
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Hi I live very close to DC and as above has stated there is going to be alot of major issues for travelers and it will be a nightmare for us who live here. Major roadways will be closed, hotels are booked from every end. It will be very crowded and cold. Millions are people are trying to cram into this small place of DC.I do wish you the best of luck and plan ahead.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I, too, live close to DC - hubby works there. He is a federal government agent and is one of the few who is allowed the day off. The other's who are working will have to spend the night in the offices because the roads will be closed at 2am the 20th.
    Hubby says the earlier you get to DC the better chance you have of getting into the city at all. Most people will have to park at the Metro station and take the trains into the city.
    Hotels are already booked, so unless you pre-booked, you will be sleeping in your car.
    Traffic is expected to be heavy as far south as Fredericksburg and the sheriff's departments of the towns along I-95 will be closing the roads in and out unless you are a resident. You will not be allowed to just pass through.
    Have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009