Swollen Feet

I know swollen feet can be normal during pregnancy but my left foot is more swollen than my right. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You might want contact your doctor. You need to elevate your feet, if you can right now.

Answer by louise2 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• No, my feet were so swollen for 8 out of the 9 months of my pregnancy, I couldn't even wear shoes, and they were like this from the time I woke up, it drove me insane, they were so puffy and stiff, i couldn't even bend my toes, My Dr. told me not to worry, just that I was retaining fluid, lots of it
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Mine did that-- one would swell more than the other. It may be the way the baby is laying is putting more pressure on one side than the other (restricting circulation more on that side). It still wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor about it, and yes, keep your feet elevated as much as possible.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have actually heard of a lot of people having one foot swollen more than the other. It's not really a big deal. If you're having a big deal with swelling, drink a lot of water with lemon in it (just enough to give it a slight tart taste) for about a week, and the swelling will go down. The lemon helps your body to flush out extra water. Don't stop after a week, though, if it's a continuous problem, because as soon as you stop the swelling will come back after a couple of days.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Hello! Well im not sure how far along you are, but some swelling can be normal. I would suggest you lay completely flat with your feet elevated. I have many patients with this problem, and i myself having 5 of my own children have experienced it plenty of times. Just try to stay off of your feet. If standing is something you have to do for long periods of time then take 10 minutes every hour or 2 to lay flat with elevated feet to make the sweeling go down. If this problem continues you may consult your care provider and be seen.
    CNM518

Answer by CNM518 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow. I just started noticing the swelling 2 days ago. Yesterday during the day it got better but worse again at night and I did eat salty foods at dinner. Today the swelling is still there.
    Anonymous

• Yes. My D/C instructions from the hospital specifically said that if there is uneven swelling between my two legs/feet that I should call my doctor right away. Now I know you're pregnant and not post-partum but the reason for uneven swelling and needing to call the doctor was because uneven swelling can signify the possibility of a clot in the one leg. I can't imagine uneven swelling would be any more normal during pregnancy.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2009