Clingy son????

Lately i've been spending more time at home and with my son (18 m) because school is out for now. But he's becoming more and more attatched to me. He never wants me to leave his sight. Sometimes I have to take a shower with him in the bathroom!!! and last night i climbed in his playpen/bassinet (i'm small i can fit!) and he would not let me get out each time i would lift me head up he'd scream NO! and push my head back down this went on for about 2 hours and it was in the middle of the night! I love my son and I want to be with him as much as possible but I'm worried about his actions when i do return to scool next week. Is he going to scream his head off until i come back???? Do all kids go through this stage??? How long does it last????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this is normal. He likes the extra time with you, but he is also at the age when they start exploring their individuality and see how much control they have over others. I would not let him do things like the playpen anymore, I could lead to very large problems with him thinking he can control you. Good luck, and congrats for having the extra time with your little man.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• MOST KIDS GO THROUGH THIS MAMITIS STAGE AS I LIKE TO CALL IT, HE WILL ADAPT, CHILDREN DO THIS WITH EASE, HE MIGHT CRY THE FIRST FEW DAYS BUT WILL ADJUST BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. ENJOY THE STAGE THINK AHEAD AT THE OTHER STAGES THAT AWAIT YOU, WHERE HE WILL WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU, ENJOY!

Answer by older at 12:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It's completely normal. Children experience periods of separation anxiety off and on as they grow, become more aware of themselves, how big their world is, and try to figure out their role in the world. My twins were like that on and off between 18 and 20 mos but then it got much better.
    He's also perhaps a bit confused because you're home with him now. Rest assured. He may be a bit upset when you go back to school and his regular routine resumes but it won't take him long to get back in the groove.
    I would not however indulge him during the middle of the night. He needs to sleep in his own bed and you need to sleep in yours. If you're sharing a room just reassure him that you're there, that it's ok, and that he needs to go to sleep.
    Hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• As other moms mentioned it is totally normal but your child child is at the age now where he is learning he has the power to manipulate you to do things he wants you to do. You need to assert yourself as a parent. For instance with the playpen incident I would have gotten out and when he said no I would say "I know it makes you sad that mommy can't play with your playpen anymore, but it's time for everyone to go to sleep. I am right here if you need me" You can validate his feelings without letting him walk all over you. At this age kids will cry when you try to leave them but you would be surprised for how short of a time it continues pnce you have actually left the room :)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009