What does this sound like to you?

5 year old boy with impulse control issues, difficulty managing anger and protective of personal space at times. Extremely above grade level academically. Loves to be challenged while reading and doing math. Sometimes prefers playing/working alone in school.

We've of course had him tested...he has speech therapy....it's all getting better with age and we're getting a second opinion. Just wanted to see what other moms thought on these few symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is Autistic and it sounds as though your son may be mildly autistic. Keep in mind that autistic children can be just as smart as typically developing children and may also be advanced in one or more areas. Autistic children tend to be kinda OCD but it might pertain to only one thing.
    Anonymous

• Could be more, maybe not. If he was only evaluated for speech, then yes I would recommend a full second evaluation to determine if there is something else going on as well. Many of those symptoms "could" fit a child with autism.

Another thing would be to do some of your own research to get a better feel on what would help your son. Read up on Asperger syndrome, Autism, ADHD, Sensory processing disorder. For us as soon as we read about "Asperger syndrome," it made me look at my son in a new light and I understood why he did certain things. Plus it helped us make the decision to get a diagnosis.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009