who think this is a good idea?

have the department of corrections inmates farm produce and poultry for the elderly and homeless shelters and their own Consumption thus reducing tax money directed to prisons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think is a great idea to have them grow their own food and give the surplus to the homeless. It will save the taxpayer's money.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Sounds like a good idea!All for it
    Anonymous

• :) I agree with it. but it won't even be implemented in all states, unfortunately, because thats just not how our politicians minds work.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Would need more details on the cost comparison of both programs before I could make my decision. On the surface it sounds good. Is there a "model" you are referring to?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Coming from an area where agriculture is at the core of our economy, I don't see this benefiting anyone but the state. People would be out of jobs that would go to inmates instead, and small farmers would be out of work as well. It doesn't sound like it, but that would mean a ton of resources used up on something that is otherwise unnecessary.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I agree with ginger0104..it would take jobs away ...There is a program at the local prison here where the prisoners do grow and store food but it is for their consumption. It reduces taxpayer burden to feed the inmates and gives the inmates something constructive to do. They also donate the surplus to the local food bank.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I guess I should have completely read the question. Um, yes, I do agree, the local prison has shown that it works. I
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009