• In the Spotlight:

What does this sound like to you? Behavior question

5 year old boy with impulse control issues, difficulty managing anger and protective of personal space at times. Extremely above grade level academically. Loves to be challenged while reading and doing math. Sometimes prefers playing/working alone in school.

We've of course had him tested...he has speech therapy....it's all getting better with age and we're getting a second opinion. Just wanted to see what other moms thought on these few symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like my friends son. He has high functioning Aspbergers. VERY intelligent but has sensory issues, personal space issues, & impulse control issues!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 12:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Sounds normal for a five year old. I have two of them right now. Anger management is something that really needs to be thoughtfully taught. At five you really can't expect them to maintain a wonderful demeanor all the time, not saying you do, but when a child appears to be gifted they do seem to get frustrated with things easier. Try looking for the melt down triggers, when you see it coming, ask him if he would like 5 minutes or 10 minutes in his room to calm down. That puts it back in his court, so to speak, and offers a moment for him to collect himself.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• As for being protective of his personal space, some of us just don't like people that close and breathing on us. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well...he's fine with us at home. We know him and it's pretty easy to deal with these things. The issue is at school...of course his teachers are great in dealing with him but the issue is still there.
    Anonymous

• Based on just what you wrote....red flags for Asperger's. Not that he has it, but maybe warrants evaluations.

My oldest (will be 5 in February) is currently seeing a psychologist. He's being watched for possible Asperger's and/or ADHD right now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• There is no way to say what this is based on what your are relating in your posts. I used to diagnose kids. But I certainly would never diagnose on line either. I will say there is nothing that you listed that is really a red flag. If he has an issue with impulse control and managing anger then I would guess (just a guess) that he needs a counselor - an actual licensed therapist not the school guidance counselor. Someone experienced working with children. It has been my experience that anger is a mask for what the real emotion is: hurt, depression, frustration, ect... A counselor could assist him in more appropriate ways to express those feelings. Adjustment issues, trauma, anxiety, ect, could contribute. Or if you have concerns about some other issue then perhaps a counselor could narrow that down after some time with him to get a better idea of his particular situation.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• cont...as far as personal space it would depend on how that is being carried out. Could all this be normal? Sure. Could there be something more? Sure. Until you actually have a licensed professional work him there is no responsible way to say it is anything specific. Aspergers is not very common and even when working with professionals it is difficult to diagnose. So please, if you have concerns, look at specialists in your area and ask your child's doctor for a referral. Moms on here can tell you about their children all day long but bottom line is those kids are not your son and you live with him. So you know, just that mom intution, if something is off or not.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well...this is what Cafemom is here for, dontcha think? We always ask moms their opinions on things and that does not mean that we allow them to diagnose our children. I do not expect anyone on here, including you, to diagnose my child. I was simply bouncing things off of my head and asking other moms what they thought. My post did indicate the steps that we're taking for him...but in the interim there is nothing wrong with me asking a question on this site as it is a support site for all moms. Thanks for your input.
    Anonymous