How did you let your baby go overnight?

My baby is going to grandparents overnight while my husband and I go on a date. He is 5 months old and it will be his first time overnight. I'm so scared that my parents will make a mistake or something will happen to him (and I have no reason to think this) Any tips for how you handle letting someone else take your baby overnight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my baby first came hoem I was the same way. I couldnt stand to be away from him, but he was premature and would only sleep for an hour at a time, 3 weeks later colic kicked in and I was begging someone anyone to take him. His colic is super extreme now and I don't leave him with anyone but his daddy for fear of shaken baby syndrome (he is VERY high maintenance and caring for him is VERY intense) your worry is very normal and simply a sign that you are an excellent mother. Call as often as you want maybe even drop in before heading home from your date. Your mom and dad raised you up great and they can handle a night with your little one. Also remember that babies are VERY risilent. It would take a very intentional mistake to cause serious harm. Your mom might forget the desitin at a diaper change or give her the wrong stuffed animal to sleep with but it wont hurt her. She'll be just fine
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If it makes you that nervous, then don't go! I'd never leave my little baby with anyone overnight. Maybe they could just babysit for a few hours, not all night? If not, then is 'date night' really worth it? Just don't do it.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I didn't let my son be away from me overnight til he was almost 3! I could never be away from my infant that long.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• its harder on u than the child...i promise....dont make it a habit but like once a month is fine...ur hubby and u need to have adult time...nothing wrong with it at all....and remember if they need anything they can call u ..or u call and check in aswell...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If you're that nervous about it you're not going to have any fun.

We've always had a set rule about how old they had to be to go overnight with anyone.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i agree if your that nervous then it will just ruin your night with hubby. My dd was 3 weeks when she first stayed with my mom and dad overnight and i was a nervous wreck but my fiance put it in great perspective for me....think about it whether its your parents or hubby's parents they raised you guys right? and your alive and safe. thats how i look at it and it helped me calm down. That first night i called every hour to a point where my mom made my fiance take my phone cause i was driving her nuts! make sure they have contact info for you and im sure the baby will be fine. my DD is almost 7 months now and i still call and check in a few times when she stays over but not like i used to. remember your parents took care of you guys they remember how to do it! also my mom said with a grandchild its different because it is not their child and they take extra special care! good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i let my son go to my his grandparents house around 2 months (they BEGGGED) i was really nervous... which like you i had no reason to be..they did fine and they get him regularly. They have raised kids before right?? :) lol

there is nothing wrong with letting them keep your baby.. its important for you and your hubby to have a night alone. just keep reminding yourself hes ok and keep your cell phone on and call and check in
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Is normal to field like that. I know the first time and only time my bb has stay overnight with my mother I almost cried. Is hard but you need your time with you husband too.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The first time we left DD with my parents (who are completely amazing parents and grandparents), we pulled out of their driveway and I turned to my husband and I said "I hope they don't killl her".

You don't get over it. Never. She is in first grade now and I am still convinced on a cellular level that unless I am looking at her every second of every day she will suffer some horrible fate.

Ask me - "Wimsey, isn't it true that every time your daughter been seriously hurt, you or your dear, dear DH been right next to her?"

Hangs head in shame.....the truth doesn't change how I feel.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We let my baby stay overnight when she wasn't even a month old with my parents( it was our 1 year anniversary) and like you I was crazy nervous but We went to pick her up and she was just fine! just sleeping in the crib and it's hard but I agree with those who say you need a night to yourselves!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009