Sunblock

How old does a baby need to be before you can put sunblock on him? We live in San Diego where it is alway sunny. We are always out and about enjoying San Diego. We are scared our little one will get burnt .

DessaG20

Asked by DessaG20 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have baby specific sunblock. I used it on my daughter at 3 weeks I think.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Ha I'm having the same problem. I'm in San Diego too and its been so hot!! We went to the zoo the other day and I felt really bad that my son (he's 5 months) didn't have any sunblock on. I think I'm going to pick some up next time I'm at the store. It's ridiculous how sunny it's been for January!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Even infant sunscreen says not to use until 6 months. Until then, put long pants and long sleeve shirts and a hat on them. if he is in the stroller, put the shade out. If you wear him in a sling or wrap then you can just put a little hat on him. Even once your baby hits 6 months, I would use sunscreen sparringly. I only put it on my children if we will be out for a long time. They need a certain amount of sunlight and even "natural" sunscreens are not totally natural,
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We were told 6 months. Before that, their skin is too thin. (from our pediatrician)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i would double check with your doc at 4mos my doc said i could use it (though i live in pgh and it def wasnt hot enough) but to test it on the leg for a reaction and no face till 6 mos. best bet is to try and keep their skin covered and only use it on exposed areas..and a hat to cover the face
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• PLEASE keep in mind we live in San Diego California...its already BRIGHT SUNNY AND ALOMOST IN THE 90s. Its way too hot to keep him bundled up.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I was thinking the same thing lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i would use a sun block for babies and read the label. If your still not sure check with your pedi. Wish I had that problem. I live in WI and it is currently 19* below zero with a windchil of 35 below zero :( I am hella-jealous
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would talk to your pediatrician. Ours said no sunscreen until 6 months and then to only use baby sunscreen. I really like the Aveeno sunscreen for babies. It's great and works wonders. If you are told to wait a little longer just have your little one wear a hat and keep him in the shade as much as possible. I know it's hard being in San Diego.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 2:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009