Curious...

I am just wondering here:when are the american people going to start taking responsibility for their part in this recession/depression?When are they going to do something to change it?And why is everyone excepting one man to do it by himself?Be it Obama/McCain/Bush or anyone....isnt that just a little unrealistic?

its just i still see people buying expensive cars/houses/stocks and know that this was one of the biggest reasons we are in this mess.B/c most of these people can not afford it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• realtorshelly -- People living beyond their means caused this. They got loans with outrageous payments and suddenly found they could not afford those payments.

The banks caused this by convincing those people they could afford the bad loan because Clinton and Bush practically forced the banks to make the bad loans.

If you're a bank with hundreds of thousands of customers with bad loans who suddenly can't pay the monthly minimum, your bank is going to fail because you no longer have cash flow.

If you're a consumer with a bad loan you're struggling to pay each month it leaves very little money left over to spend at the stores, movie theaters, car dealerships, etc.  If the consumer stops spending money in droves, retail fails because they have no cash flow.

Wall Street didn't cause anything, it just reacted.  Both the Democrats and the Republicans forced it on the banks.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• OH no, it's not OUR fault - those nasty politicians.....those greedy companies......it's the SYSTEM man.

NO ONE will take personal responsibility for the mess they are in - much easier to blame others.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Very good question! People like to blame somebody. I personally think it's time to take personal responsibility of our own actions.
    President is just a men .
    Anonymous

• B/c it's easier to put blame on someone else if the whipping boy is already present.....
    We have bought a home, 1 car and tons of stock though. It's a great time to buy it if you can afford it.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 2:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• the american citizens just listened to 2 years straight of people on tv telling them it wasn't their fault. what are we supposed to believe, we're victims looking to the government to blame and the government for help. makes no sense.
    Anonymous

• Excuse me, but how do you know for sure that these people you see buying these cars/houses/stocks can't afford it? Not everyone is doing poorly financially.
    Anonymous

• OP here....because I know these people.And we run a contruction company and are around alot of people everyday .I wasnt say ALL people anyways.I wasnt saying that it was just the american people.I am saying it is everyone as far as goverment AND the american people!

And I know not everyone is hurting finacially.Our company is still doing great!Its just what I hear.
    Anonymous

• well thats what ur man promised.... thats why he got all the votes right? for "change" and to better the economy with all his plans?

i blame the government because if min. wage was more the 6.50 an hr and there were more businesses over here rather then overseas more people could work and more people would spend money.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i don't buy anything i can't afford so i don't know how that makes me part of the problem. our problem is the companys we work for are not getting enough business and since i actually saw what my employer brought in and what he paid out when i did his tax work for him he wasn't frivolous with his money i'm pretty sure that he didn't contribute either to the governments problems. so i think some bring unto themselves but i wouldn't say it's just the people of the US who made the problem but the government who over pays and when we agreed we'd pay our presidents so much money even after the have served their term in the white house.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The greed on Wall Street caused this and the Dems turned a blind eye.
    I will agree that MOST Americans live beyond their means. They buy all this unnecessary "stuff" to fill up empty voids inside themselves. It's become a nation of victims, not victors. A bunch of materialist, self-absorbed whiners.
    It's time to take personal responsibility. We're in this thing together.
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009