When to up the formula intake of a 1 month old????

She's eating 2 oz. every 2-3 hours now... she drains that and acts like she wants more... I'm thinking she just has a bubble, but maybe she really does need more... I've heard that around this time babies go through a growth spurt, could she need more and how do I know..

leslielynn

Asked by leslielynn at 10:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi..I have a 2month old and I up'd her formula to 3ounces and she would feed every 2-3 hours when she turned 1 month. I know what u mean about her acting like she is still starving. She just turned 2 months and that is how she acts now. I at times give her 3ounces and then after a couple of good burps if she is still acting like she is hungry I give her another ounce usually she doesn't finish it but it fills her and she is good to go after that. Hope that was some kind of help..
    Ang0708
    ang0708

Answer by ang0708 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Often times just an extra half ounce will finish the job. I think around a month, my daughter went from two ounces every 3 hours to closer to 3 1/2 every 3 hours. Children grow at unexpected rates so you just kind of have to play with it for a while to see what is good for her. She won't overeat. She will let you know when she is done.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I always made up a batch of formula in the morning and kept it in the fridge. That way, when my DD drank everything in the bottle, I could quickly offer her another couple of ounces. Once she started doing that, I just increased what I put in the bottle to start with.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My 1 month old girl drinks 3.5 to 4oz every 3-4 hours! Like my mom did with me, I feed her as much as she wants, when she wants. She's a happy and healthy baby.
    LisanHailey

Answer by LisanHailey at 11:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• my 4 week old has been drinking 4 oz every 2-3 hours since she was 2 weeks old. doc says its fine... she was 8lbs 15 oz at birth and 21.5 inches... at 2 weeks old she was already 10 lbs 2 oz and 23 inches long.... shes a big baby so thats why she eats it all... lately shes been wanting less quantity of formula so its been getting wasted.. i think it all depends on the baby and their size - thats what determines the needs
    MeganAshley

Answer by MeganAshley at 8:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2008