How does a mom potty train her son?

I actually need advice for my best friend. She is a single mother of 2 boys and it has come time to potty train her oldest. She asked for my advice and my having only a daughter and growing up with all sisters couldn't be much help so I'm coming to you girls. As a woman she doesn't know where to start potty training a little boy. Anyone have any good advice I can pass along?

mandy88

Asked by mandy88 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Darn limits.

Okay...my oldest woke up one morning right before his 3rd birthday and announced he wanted to wear underwear and pee in the potty.

We had to push the issue when our next one turned three. He's working for (er...peeing and pooping for) stickers. lol (one for peeing and two for pooping) He has a paper stuck on the freezer he gets to put them on...and he's working on his second paper now. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Having only boys here, I don't know that there is a difference between training boys and girls. Don't worry about showing them how to stand up and pee until they can actually stand and pee into the bowl, though!! lol

I will say that boys tend to not have to pee as often as girls. (comparing notes with my brother who has several girls)

It's a matter of figuring out what will work with him. My two who are trained/training have been SO different so far I wonder if they're really brothers! (they look too much alike to doubt that, really LOL)
    Anonymous

• The anon answer is me....no clue why it showed up that way..
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have two girls and a boy. There really is no difference between training the two. When they're ready, they're ready. It's easier at first to have boys sit to pee. My son is 5 and still prefers sitting to pee. I'm sure when he's taller, he'll find it easier to stand.
    I've also heard of moms putting a cheerio in the toilet for their sons to aim their stream at, if training standing up.
    emily4.5

Answer by emily4.5 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I started potty training ds at 20 months, and he was completely potty trained by 26 months (I am a SAHM, so that was my focus for 6 months). This is what I did:

I told ds it was time to go potty because he was a big boy now. I bought him big boy underwear with characters on them saying keep his "Bob the Builders clean." I also bought some M&Ms and miniature reeses cups. He got 3 M&Ms for peeing in the potty and one Reeses cup for going poo in the potty.

I took him to the potty when he woke up, and everytime he tried to go hide behind a chair (which usually meant he was going to go potty in his undies). We had alot of messes. In fact, each morning I filled the washing machine with water and a little bleach and just added dirty clothes to it through out the day.

**to be continued**
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When DH was home, I made his sit on the toilet when he had to go to the bathroom and made sure DS saw how poppa went potty. It took some time, but eventually ds started to get the hang of it. DS also watched me go potty so that he can see that "everyone" sits on the potty and does not wear a diaper.

When we are out in public I pointed out all the little babies that wear diapers, but pointed out that he got to wear big boy underwear.

Potty training takes time and patiences. DS is now 2.5 and he is still doing well. I am still giving him potty treats, but now he just gets them at night if he did well all day. I will stop these treats in about another month since he knows what is expected of him.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you. Potty training is hard, but it is also hard on them to learn a new process.
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We also sang a song:

Pee Pee in the potty
    Poo Poo in the potty
    Keep your underwear clean.

Give me some bubble gum
    Give me some yummy yum
    I keep my underwear clean.
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would put the blue stuff in the tank - so your toilet water is blue - well when they pee it turns green and they luved being able to make it change colors! They were magicians! LOL My girls and my friends boys luved to do this! :o)
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• OMG Allegra ROFL!! The hiding behind the chair thing and the song! That is hilarious!! We are just starting to potty train our only child (boy) and didn't know how to really go about it either (even with the help of my "perfect mother" who had a boy lol!) I thought about just going to reg undies and I think I'm going too now.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• teach him to sit down first, and then when he gets used to sitting on the potty, throw in some kind of cheerios or round cereal, say ready, aim, fire........lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2009