Potty training boys what the best way that works?

I have a 3 yr. old boy that turned 3 on Dec. 29th. I 'm putting him on the toilet when he wakes up and when he wakes up from his nap.but other times it just doesn't seem to work.Help!!

jasmon

Asked by jasmon at 1:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son turned 3 in September. I didn't feel he was ready then. I waited until I had a nice long weekend (New Years). I bought him a lot of cute undies for Christmas, so he was a little interested. Then on New Year's day, I just said, "Today you wear underwear and go pee pee on the potty! Yay! You get m&ms when you go! I put him on the potty every hour or so. At times he told me he had to go but it was always too late. Then the second day, he said he had to go before he went, yay, breakthrough! On the third day we actually left the house and he was fine, and he hasn't had an accident since!! I still use diapers at night. I think the trick is to go straight to underwear and never go back. I think it's confusing if you go back and forth. It worked for me with all 3 kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Boys sometimes take longer. Try not to push, he'll go when he's ready. My first son was nearly 3.5 when he was trained, but it was when he was truly ready and it only took a couple of days.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 4:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• With both of my boys I found out they didn't want to take the time to go so I put books in a basket in the bathroom and had them sit and look at the books also my other son was so afraid of missing stuff I would put the potty on a sheet in the living room and have him sit there and watch his favorite show also with him I had to really watch how much he had to drink I would only give him so much to drink when he went potty that seemed to work well cause he loved his drinks
    AmieJo853

Answer by AmieJo853 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• just put him in underwear. Be prepared to clean up messes for a few days but he will get there. the key is to get rid of the diapers....you have to retrain your child wear to go to the bathroom. Put them on the potty every 30 minutes or so.

Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Hi there
    I hope I can help , my son is 3 also and we just were able to do this potty training. What your doing is great , just don't give up putting him on the potty. Also what I did after alot of help going was make a big deal about it when he went and used the ptty. I told him we would have a potty dance and haha it sounds funny but it worked. He loved all of the attention. Praise him when he does and whatever you do dont be negative if if he has accidents. I know potty training is not the easiest thing to do with some kids but you can do it. Good Luck!!! Ashley
    ashleyellen8324

Answer by ashleyellen8324 at 5:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree with mompam! Don't use pull ups! They are just fancy diapers! I also agree with taking your child on a timed schedule at first to help them be successfull. Don't ask if they need to go, just take him every 40- 60 minutes. They key is to stay consistent and dedicate at least a week to potty training. Get others on board if he stays with a sitter or grandparent. Reward and praise him when he goes in the potty. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• this is what I did with my boys, Make a game out of it, put cheerios in the potty,get a stool for them to stand on tell them to aim at them & try to "sink" them add a lot at first then gradually just put in a few as their aim gets better, have them go every hour on the hour, just give them pleny of juice, also carry a baggie full in your bag, ALWAYS have cheerios :) it took my boys 2 weeks they both loved the game @ the end of the training they both could go potty lower the lid & wipe up their little dribble & wash their hands, not to many adult men do that :) have fun & don't give up

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2009