moms vs. ped., who would you listen to?

So, my 4 month old started waking up every 2-3 hours through out the night wanting to eat. My mom and my MIL both said to try a little cereal, we tried it and it's a definate improvement and he loves eating with a spoon. My ped. recommended that my ds start solids at 6 months. I've been trying to do the research on it, yes I read the kelly mom article, and now I'm really conflicted. I need some sleep and he likes it so much, but then there's all that negative research, and the pediatrition's advice..... I'm just wondering what would you do?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say, listen to mom and MIL. Feeding your baby heavier food is OK. It won't hurt him. He seems to like it ,and he is not allergic to it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would listen to the pedi. They have a broader range of experience with children (obviously)-and they should know what is medically okay for a child.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• peds dont know everything do what you think is best as long he is healthy i dont see why yoou should stop i started mine on cereal around the same time and she did fine with it and she slept through the night every child develops diffrently some can handle solids eariler than others
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it, my DD got cereal at around 4 months as well. She's almost 9 months now and she is happy and healthy. She has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks, when I started adding cereal to her night bottle. (Just my opinion)
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Mom..research won't raise your kid. Other Moms won't raise your kid. Research speaks "on average". Moms are the same way. You make the choice that you can live with. If your son is eating well from the spoon and he is resting better I personally would continue to do that. Be careful in adding new things. One new food at a time with at least a week in between. That way if he has a reaction you're don't have to play the 'what did he react to' game. Trust your instincts.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Our pedi told us to start cereal at 4 months...it basically comes down to trusting your mommy gut.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My son starting acutually eating rice cereal off a spoon at 3 and a half months so i say go for it! But I have to warn you even tho he eats dinner every night before bed he is teething now and still wakes up in the middle of the night so beware. You can't make a baby sleep.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You do what YOU feel is best. And every ped is different. Some babies just get to a point where the formula is not cutting it any more and they need something more to keep their bellies full. My ped had me start solids at 4 months. my firends ped said wait until 6 so they are all diff. Has your baby doubled his birth weight? Thats a good sign he is ready. I started my son at 4 months and he wouldn't even take to it until 7 months old! All babies are different and need different things at different times. Listen to your ped on most things, particular to your baby and be not so strict when it comes to the "general opinions" go to other moms get opinions and do what you think your baby needs. Because many peds have different opinions. Who is right? Ya know? You need sleep and unless your ped can give you a medical reason specific to your baby on why you should not start then I say go for it.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• id say its up to you if he likes it and is able to sit with support in his high chair then its ok to continue. I would never put it his bottle though only feed him with a spoon and be sure that you only start one new food a week you dont wana have a reaction and know what it was. Your the mom and its up to you in the end. All babies are different.
    Anonymous

• pediatricians recommend waiting till at least 4 months... which your baby is. There is nothing wrong with doing rice cereal for a couple months and then stepping up on the solids. YES there is a LOT of research linking allergies to starting solids to early, but babies also grow and develop better with lots of long stretches of sleep. Some pedi's even recommend rice cerreal prior to 4 months for certain conditions liek acid reflux etc. MY pedi started my baby on pear and apple juice at 2 months for chronic constipation AND has started him on OATMEAL cereal now at 4 months rather than rice due to some intolerances. Do what is best for your baby. Obviously I wouldn't start giving him carrots and turkey etc but rice cereal is not going to hurt him. ESP since your giving it by spoon. My brother was on all table food by 6 months of age and is a very healthy young man (of course this was 19 years ago) go with your instinct
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009