Breastfeeding while pregnant??

Ok so my DD will be 1 year 6/15. We are going to try for our second baby in August. I was only planning on BF for a year but now I don't think I want to put a definite schedule on it. I want to follow her lead. My question is, would it be too much stress on my body to BF while pregnant? If you have done this did you have a specific diet to follow??

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 2:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• its very possible to still breastfeed while pregnant but most babies will wean themselfs by the start of your second trimester becuz they no longer like the taste of the milk. It changes and goes back to the colotrume milk. you dont need a special diet just make sure you eat healthy and take your vitamins.
    Anonymous

• I am nursing and pregnant. I got pg with number two while DD was almost 7 months. She is not 12.5 moths and just about weaned. She will nurse maybe two times per day, sometimes more if she isn't feeling well. My milk is almost gone, and she mainly nurses for comfort. I think she will pick up nursing alot more once the baby is here and I have more milk. I just drink plenty of fluid and eat when I'm hungry. The only people who SHOULD NOT nurse while pregnant are those that are extremely high risk for preterm labor. My first daughter was born at 33 weeks gestational and my midwife said if was fine.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'm nurisng and pregnant. It hasn't caused me any issues and my son hasn't weaned. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and my son is 22 months old.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I breastfed for about a month and a half into my 3rd pregnancy. I would cramp every time I nursed, though, so I weaned my daughter. The weaning process took about a month b/c she refused a bottle for that long! In the end my son (3rd baby that I was pregnant with) was fine, but after having a miscarriage (my 1st pregnancy)... that cramping just made me way too nervous to continue!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• ... Oh, my daughter was 8 months old when I got pregnant and was weaned at 9.5 months of age.
    SahmTam

• I nursed my oldest until my belly got to big with number two. He was almost a year when he quit. My kids are only 14 months apart...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oh, there were NO issues with my second pregnancy. My baby was a healthy 8 lbs boy. BF didn't cause any issues at all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Usually when you're pregnant the rising pregnancy hormones gradually suppress the breast-feeding hormones. Your body naturally imposes its own physical limits.
    Also--most women (85%) do not ovulate while breast-feeding, so it's less likely to get pregnant while breast-feeding.
    healthEwoman

Answer by healthEwoman at 5:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I got preggo while nursing my daughter. I had to wean her about a week later because it hurt so much.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I got pregnant at 15 months PP. I nursed until he self weaned at 5 months along. My doc put me on double prenatal vitamins and added about 300 calories a day to the normal pregnancy recommendations. My girlfriend nursed through her entire pregnany and tandem nursed after baby was born. #1 had just weaned when she got pregnant with #3.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009