Life insurance.

I have been thinking that DH and I really need to get some life insurance but there are so many companies to choose from. Anyone have any key pointers on what to look for in a company? I have never done this before so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would contact your automobile insurance company and ask if they also do life insurance. Most of the time they do both and you can get a cheaper rate on your life insurance policy. That is what my husband and I did and we pay almost half what we would anywhere else. Like you said there are so many out there. Just make sure you read them closely, because they have so many things they will not cover, such as motorcycle accidents, shootings, suicide, etc. We got one that had no exclusions, which is a little more costly. Good luck and there is a lot of info when deciding. Just take your time.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• try Zanderins.com You can do an online quote and it will give you quotes from several ins companies. They are just a broker that shop around for you. It's how I got my insurance with Banner Life.
    Anonymous

• I have been with State Farm for many years and have been happy with our coverage for home, auto and life insurance. I would work with an agent your happy with. We found that working directly with headquarters was our best option. We were scammed by local agents talking us into items that weren't for us. Good luck
    Jennielee_1975

Answer by Jennielee_1975 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I went through state farm. I would now, but my employer offers it for a lot cheaper. Not that state farm was expensive. It will be if you are a smoker though. If I was a smoker, it would have tripled my payment.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You only need to by term insurance. Make sure you know how much you need as they typically will try to talk you into more. Suze Orman has really good advice on this and she has a new book out right now that is only $9.99 in the stores and it something to the effect of Action Plan for 2009. We switched ours this past summer and went with a company called Primerica. But, do your research.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009