What do you think about this quote?

"Adoption was created so that children without homes could be provided with one. NOT, so that barren couples could be provided a baby at anyones expense!"

Do you agree or disagree with this...why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• It's true, that is why adoption was created. Due to the amount of money to be made it's morphed into the industry it is today. Adoption is most certainly NOT a win win. Adoption is based on loss. The adoptive parents (most anyway) lose the hope of birthing their biological children and that is a huge loss. Birth families lose a family member and adoptees lose their birth family.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• agree.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i think that originally that may be why adoption was created. However, i dont think its wrong for a couple who cant have children to want to adopt one. i also dont think that couples who are adopting are doing it at the expense of others.
    Anonymous

• I agree. adoption should be about the kids, not the people trying to adopt them.

Answer by louise2 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• anon 218: this is my answer also.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Barren???? I havent heard that term in a thousand years, this must be a very old quote or a very misinformed persons saying it.
    I dont think you can have one without the other. You can have children taken care of if there arent familys ready to step up and care for them.
    Anonymous

• I agree with JLynn and Anon 11:18 (gotta love the time differences!) I don't think its wrong for a couple who can't have kids to want to adopt one. Its a win win situation on both sides in that case...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Correction on the above: I dont mean to say the person is misinformed in general, I mean to say that the person is not up to date on the approriate lingo. The quote makes sense, it 's using old language.
    Anonymous

• There's no such thing as a "win win" situation esp. with adoption! Someone is losing. In regards to the quote, its technically true. I wouldnt say I agree with how its stated but I agree with the sentiment of it. Adoption had developed into less of a way for children to find a home who dont have one and more of a way to create a family for a couple who cant or wont have biological children. Adoption now days is looked on as a way for people to get a child & not as a way for a child to get a family.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I absolutely have no idea why adoption was originally created and I'm sure whoever said this has no idea why adoption was originally created either. Not really trying to be hard to get along with here, but adoption has been going on since before recorded time...

I did a Google search and couldn't find that quote anywhere, so I'm really curious as to who said it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009