Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Certified Copy?

My husband is joining the Air Force and they told him that they need certified copies of his birth certificate, social security card, and high school diploma. Do we need to go down and get ACTUAL copies like the ones we keep or, is this statement true: A certified copy is a photocopy of a filed document, legal or other, in its entirety (everything within a staple) that is sworn to be a true copy by a court clerk or solicitor. ??? Help me please!!


Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Call and ask them .... they dont have a copier?? That is crazy.

    Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • take the originals and they will make the copies. They have to actual have them in hand to make the copies.
    We took all originals and they made copies of them.

    Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • i thought you had to go get an actual copy but i could be wrong. i know when i enrolled my son in daycare they wouldnt take just a copy of his BC they wanted a CERTIFIED copy.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • usually the military just wanna see the real one (the ones you keep), and they'll make copies and keep them. you can show them what you have and they'll give those back to you after they make copies for his file.

    Answer by KaydensMom99 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • They don't have a copy machine there, they told him that HE needs to get certified copies. --OP

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • You have to go to the courthouse and get a copy - it can't just be a photocopy unless they are the ones that make it, because they want to see the raised seal on it to make sure it is authentic.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • My husband has a certified copy and it is a photocopy of his birth certificate, signed by a Notary that it is his.

    Answer by slw123 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • orignal of the HS diploma should be fine. the oringal or a reprint directly from the state for the BC is fine. I think the orinigal for the SS card is fine. Take those to one of those copy places that has a notary and make the copies in front of them and have them certifiy the copies that way you can keep your originals.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

Next question in Money & Work
Life insurance.

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
cramping/ discharge