• In the Spotlight:

labor question

I went to my doctor yesterday ans she told me my cervix was thinning and I was 1cm dilated & I am 36 weeks, I think I lost some of my plug at 34/35 weeks.. and since last night my stomach has been cramped and I had diarrhea in the early am until noon today... does that mean I am close to going into labor or is this a normal thing and I probably won't pop soon?
I was wondering because my doctor said it could be anytime now..but this is my first so I don't know if it's not a big deal because they tell everyone that to be safe or if it is really is going to happen in a day or week... I feel so unprepared.

mizzmamma

Asked by mizzmamma at 2:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Once you start dilating, it can be any time. That doesn't mean necessarily this week or anything....lol

I was like that for the last month up until I was induced at 39 weeks with my first two....I was in labor at 36 weeks with my third and didn't even know it...(thought I was having bad cramps/braxton hicks...guess I was wrong...)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Now is a good time to get your bag (and the babies!) packed. Make sure the car seat is in the car and ready to go. I threw my bags into the trunk so I would make sure not to forget them. That way I knew everything was ready and I could relax for the last few weeks prior to having Kaylee.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would definitely get everything ready now. My water broke at 36w 6d and we didn't even have the crib or stroller yet....they were in the process of being shipped! I would do everything you could as if you were having the baby tomorrow. It's really stressful not being ready!
    Anonymous

• It sounds to me like you are in the very early stages of labor. I went in to a doc appointment on a tuesday was dilated to 2 cm went in to labor and delivery on thursday and was dilated to 3 went back on sunday at 11:30 dilated to 6 way dilated to 8 by noon and delivered via c-section by 1:30so yes it could quite literally be any day now BUT I have heard of some women who go weeks dilated at 1 or 2. I would recommend getting lots and lots of rest and practice practice practice those breathing techniques! You will be amazed at how helpful they are and you will feel very empowered when you are breezing through contractions that are only a few minutes apart
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009