? abour SSI/disability checks

i receive checks for my son. when my dh got a new and better job, the amount was decreased by more than $200 per month. we were on foodstamps, but as of february, we will no longer get those (due to the increase in dh's income - which is fine and i am in no way complaining - i'm glad to be off public assistance & grateful for what i get from social security for my disabled son). my question is did the SSA consider foodstamps as part of our monthly income, and should i let them know we no longer get foodstamps? we live in the state of ny. i've been calling all day, but it's so hard to get through. thanks for any help, if you can answer my question. (i didn't know which category to post this question in)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• they know. ssa and dhr share resourses so they know about the decrease.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i would keep calling just to make sure....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• it might depend on your state laws but in az they do not consider food stamps income. what they consider income is child support, work, social security and unemployment. if your income increases or decreases they get that info from their data base systems. that is why some months in the past we would get FS one month and then another not. same with the health ins. which is just stupid if you ask me. just cause your income increases $100 doesn't mean that is enough to buy food for a month. they usually have a break point like here in az i think the amount is $2600. if you make more then that you don't get it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They may share resources and know about the decrease, but it doesn't mean they will do anything about it. Keep calling and ask someone. I was on food stamps and I forgot to mention one of my incomes and they cut me off, saying I didn't add the SDI I was getting. If they knew about it why didn't they count it? Because it was my job to let them know. They know everything but it doesn't mean they will do anything about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2009