15 month old, wont sleep in his crib... Help!

My 15 month old use to sleep in his crib. We would turn on his night time music/night light give him a bottle and he would lay down and go to sleep, waking up once at 11 Pm and 5am for diaper changes and would sleep until 7:30 or so, that was when he was 6 mon old till 12 mon old. NOW, he won't even lay in his crib without screaming and sometimes he throws up. And if we get him to sleep hew up 45 min to 1 hr later.. At first I thought he was scared, teething, but now I think he is just playing us. Any tips, ideas, similar stories would help... We just let him cry it out for a hour in his crib we rubbed his back and kept laying him down....

Nwaite85

Asked by Nwaite85 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hugs, It is probably a combination of things. If it were me, I would get a tv and dvd player in his room and start putting disney shows/ cartoons on- it is worth a try . I know it is not the best thing for a long term help, but it might help him through this time.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• Can you let him cry it out or put a music player in his room?
    mm_mom515

Answer by mm_mom515 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• At first I thought he was scared, teething, but now I think he is just playing us.

You really have no way of knowing what he really wants, only deduct and guess, but they are this age for a very short time, he is playing you, but he could be playing you for affection, or just contact...they outgrow all these phases, rock him to sleep, make a routine, bath, soothing music and a nice rocker and rock him to sleep.....how I miss that!

Answer by older at 8:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• CIO for an HOUR!?
    Don't let that baby cry for an hour. Hold him. No wonder he cries when you put him down.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• I was right there. He was fussing not screaming. He is held all the time.. I rock him for hours then try and lay him down in the crib and he wakes up. All that work and sometimes he will sleep for a hour, if we are lucky.
    Nwaite85

Comment by Nwaite85 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• Have you tried cosleeping?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

• We coslept with out daughter from 9.5 months - 14.5 months. Honestly - I wouldve kept going with it, but im due with our second child in 5 weeks, so we kind of had to stop. The first few nights were TERRIBLE to get her to sleep in her crib! The longest she cried was about 20 minutes, but then she just feel asleep. Its been about 2 weeks, and now at night after we're done reading books and rocking for 20 minutes, she goes in her crib and lays right down and goes to sleep for the night; which is amazingly awesome! A lot of people are against the cry it out method - including myself - but you gotta do what you feel is right or what your situation calls for. I definately wouldnt let him cry for more than 20 minutes. If he continues to drag it on, just go get him, rock him to sleep, and then try laying him down. Just find something that works for you. He definately knows what hes doing by crying lol.
    meganrst

Answer by meganrst at 4:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2012