Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should he apply for unemployability?

My dh was recently medically retired from the military. His social worker and his psychologist both suggested that he apply for unemployability with all of his medical issues. We both thought this a good idea, as I can easily substutite teach and when his full disability kicks in, we could mange to get buy (as it is more than we are making now) My mom and his mom are both against it. My mom fears if something should happen to me, dh would not be able to work.. but he would still be getting the disability. but if we did take it, between that and our tax return we would be practically debt free and i can get a pretty good size life insurance policy incase something did happen to me. If something had happened to him, i was able to go back to work.... we are so torn... just looking for ideas/advice/suggestions, not any judging please!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • I think that, if both his psychologist and his social worker think this is what he should do, and you both agree, then it doesn't matter what your moms think about it. Its not their life. I say go for it.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I think that if professionals are telling you to go for it...and you know you can live off of it...I would do it. You need to do what is best for you and your family. Good luck.

    Answer by Lacey1012 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I agree with PP. That is what that type of thing is designed for.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • its up to you and dh. it doesnt really matter what your parets think, its not their life, they dont have to live with the decision either way. if you think thats what is best for you and your family you should do it.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • thanks ladies... and yes, i know it is by, not buy lol... typing and talking to little ones does not always mix lol.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • My DH is medically retired from the Army, he is 80% unemployable which makes it 100% pay. But he is still on the temp list. I understand that once you are permanent you can get a job if you want and you dont lose your money.

    Answer by lisakay32 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • Is your husband applying to the VA to get disability pay? Does he already have a disability rating? Or are you talking about Social Security Disability? If I was your husband I would apply for disability benefits through the VA and he can also see about going to VA Vocational Rehabilitation. You would be amazed at the work they can do to assist in rehabilitating someone so they can find a new career and go back to work even if it is just part time. Your husband can also apply for state vocational rehabilitation.


    Answer by Magpie75 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • lisakay, you are correct disabled vets can work and still continue to receive their disability payments.

    Answer by Magpie75 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • my husband is rated at 80% disability by the VA. he is currently petitioning for 90% because the army gave him some, but the va recognized it but did not give him any money which the American Legion said was wrong and is working with him. Yes, if he is 80% disabled he can petition for 100%, but they can come back and say "yes we will give it to him, but he can't work anymore" which means he is unemployable, or they could come back and say "Yes, and he can still work". but if he got the 1st he CAN NEVER work or his money will be taken from him. (there are two different 100% ratings, dh had done his researched into this and has talked to tons of people) but we are already getting his VA benefits at 80%) he is unsure if he would qualify for the rehabilitation because he already has 3 degree. if he applys for unemployability it means JUST THAT! he is NOT employable, he cannot hold a job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • dh is currently is subsitute teaching, but because he is working, they will not give him unemployability because it looks like his working. but dh CANNOT do much other than subbing with all of his problems and he has a list of almost 15 things wrong with him, many of them mental -which is why he cannot hold down a full time job with the three degrees he does have. (which is why he is not eligible for rehabilitation programs). but to go back full time would put too much stress on him and he has already had an axiety attack that sent him to the hospital for three days!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.