10 months old, too soon for a toddler bed?

I just found out my DDs crib has been recalled! She is almost 11 months. I am taking it back tomorrow and she will be sleeping in our bed tonight. I was just wondering, should I just go ahead and get a toddler bed instead of a new crib? Is it too soon?
How old were your kids before they went into a toddler bed?

isra1986

Asked by isra1986 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i would rather you buy a toddler bed with the big plastic sides (as opposed to the railings that kids can get their arms caught in) then have anisa get stuck in YOUR bed between you and Sam for the next 3 years lmao or even worse! lol if you want to buy a toddler bed for her then you do whats best for you and your family. as long as the room is child-proof (which knowing you it probably is lol)...good luck!!!!
    :) those toddler bed spreads are expensive lol
    Familyof3

Answer by Familyof3 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• At this point, she could still easily roll out of a toddler bed or get out and crawl into something she shouldn't be into while you are asleep. We waited until SS was trying to climb out of his crib before making the transition. I am thinking he was around 20 months, maybe even a little older.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• personally im keepin my son in a crib for as long as possible. i think really it just depends on the child. if she goes to bed okay and stays there shell probably be fine with a toddler bed. if she fights bedtime and wakes up frequently itll probably be harder for both of you. i know people who have moved there kids at that age and they have done fine.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• our DD is 18months old and i just asked my mom the same question a few days ago. she said: "wouldnt put her in a toddler bed before she is at least 3"... and with my daughter i will listen to my mom ;) because our DD is rolling around in her bed like crazy every night. im afraid she would fall out
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would wait until the child is at least 18 months.
    10 months ... they could easily get up and wonder around and get into things.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Get the toddler bed and make sure her room is COMPLETELY childproofed. The change will probably be easier now than it would be later. We switched ours at 15 months, and I know some who did it at 12 months.

Why buy a new crib for a couple of months? She can get up out of bed...sure. Either shut her door or put up a baby gate, she's not going anywhere.

Maybe even just put her mattress on the floor! She will fall out of bed at some point (almost ALL do at some point) and she'd have even less of a distance to go.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• She is a sound sleeper. Goes to be at 8 or 8:30 until about 6 am. I was thinking along the same lines as TiccledBlue. It seems a waste to buy a crib for just a couple months. My child has been advanced since birth anyway. She has been walking since 9 months. She has actually fallen out of the crib at its lowest level trying to climb out!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I switched mine for a while at 15 months. But then he decided that he wanted to go back in the crib. So at 16 months he was back in a crib until he was 2. We still left his bed in the room and sometimes he would sleep in it, even when he was sleeping in the crib for the majority of the time. I would say get the bed but also invest in a pack in play just in case. That is what we used after we had out son in the toddler bed for a month.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 2:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Way too soon. It's not just the rolling out issue, it's the getting up and wandering around in the night while you are asleep and can't watch her issue.

The safest place for a baby or toddler is in a crib. The worst place is playing with the kitchen stove at 3am. We have a big push in our culture to get babies into "big kid beds" WAY too soon. Don't just consider her current abilities but think ahead. How will you keep her safe for the 8 hours while you are sleeping each day when she is a curious toddler capable of opening cupboards that have baby locks?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If you do go with a bed and want to "child proof" her room.... take a long hard look at any "safety products" you buy. Each and every one of them will warn you that they are for use while the child is supervised, that they do not keep the child safe for long periods of time but for just long enough for you to notice what the child is doing and stop it.

Every piece of furniture needs to be bolted to the floor or wall. She will climb them. The closet doors need to be locked closed. Any thing that is out and visible, she will try to get to - this includes the cermaic piggy bank on a high shelf as well as the wooden blocks that make a really neat sound when they hit the window. When "childproofing" think like a bored kid who has no common sense, all the time in the world, and no adult supervision.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009