How do I get my almost 4 year old to stop wetting the bed?

He sleeps really soundly and doesn't wake up to go to the bathroom. Any suggestions?

nicegirl90247

Asked by nicegirl90247 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think kids go in phases of wetting. Both my kids wet the bed just as they turned four for a while. We eliminated fluids before bed time and if we can't, we wake them up at 11 or midnight and make them potty and put them back into bed. It's worked like a charm.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm having the same trouble with my soon to be 5 year old. She wasn't doing it for the longest time, and now she's back to it...and we can't get her to stop again.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Buy those diapers for 4yo kids.

My DD use to wet the bed tell age 5. That was before these new diapers for older kids.

I would have used them if I could have.

Answer by louise2 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Hi I have the same situation with two out of the 4 of my kids. I also was a bed wetter for a long time becaise i slept so soundly and because my bladder was still immature. Which is the case of your son. You need to stop liquids at least two-three hours before he goes to bed. I have also been known to wake my kids up long enough to go potty in the middle of the night. make sure you remind them to go potty before bed. What helped me is that I would tell myself while i am tring to go to sleep is to "let me wake up to go potty". so this is what I would tell my children and all of the above should help it to stop or make it stop completely. It would also be a good idea to tell/talk with his pediatrican. My two hardly ever if any at all wet their beds anymore since i put this to practice.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• by the way, I would not use a "diaper" in my opinion they just help the cleaning up issue for the parents it doesn't help the child. My sister-in-law uses those and i know it is very embarrassing for him. Speaking from experience they have a hard enough time dealing with the bed wetting but to add on putting a diaper on them would be too much. Hope this helps!
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 3:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• we dont let the kids have anything to drink an hour and a half before bedtime. They need to go to the bathroom right before crawling into bed.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Try a bedwetting alarm These are especially good for sound sleepers - like your son and myself as a kid. I wet the bed until 5. My parents tried everything - limiting fluids, waking me, etc. Nothing worked. The alarms were new on the market then (LOOOONG time ago) but my parents decided to try it. It worked for me in just one night. From what I've read, the average is about 2 months but they have a very high sucess rate.
    The alarm senses those first drops of pee and sound an alarm to wake the child. This helps teach the brain to recognize that "full" feeling even when asleep and learn to wake up and get to the bathroom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009