Do You think baby changing stations should be required in all public restrooms?

I have found it very difficult to find restaruants and other public places with a decent baby changing station to change my son. I have personally had experiences where I was forced to change him on the bathroom floor or on a table and have heard many stories from other parents with the same issues. I have done the research and it only costs around $200 for an establishment to purchase one of these. I am in the process of trying to pass legislature which would make this a requirement. I would LOVE to hear some stoies and opinions from other paretns in order to make my argument stronger! Thank You so much!

ShanneyOsborn32

Asked by ShanneyOsborn32 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes they definately need them. I have changed her in a stroller...taken her out to my car and changed her...on a chair. It's insane. What I really think they need is those family restrooms. I have two girls....and they go out with my husband quite often...Grrr.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My DH said they hardly ever have them in mens room. I honestly always change her in the car.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• YES, I THINK THERE SHOULD BE ONE IN EVERY PUBLIC RESTROOM. I HAVE ALSO HAD TO CHANGE MY DAUGHTER OUTSIDE IN THE CAR OR CHANGE HER WHILE I AM CARRYING HER.I THINK THATS CRAZY .ONE TIME I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CHANGING PLACE FOR BABIES ON THE FIRST FLOOR I HAD TO GO TO THE THIRD FLOOR!! WE HAVE TO BE HEARD
    Anonymous

• Instead of a flimsy plastic baby changing station, it would be nice to have family restrooms with a large sturdy counter to change not only an infant, but also older children with special needs who are in diapers/briefs. Such a restroom would need to have ample room for a wheelchair, therefore more spacious for everybody, and the changing platform would be safer & easier to keep clean, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I think it is smart to have them but no one should be forced to have them. You can simply not shop or eat if they don't have them. Too many people trying to get too many laws on the books over stupid shit like this is making our country go further down the crapper.

Anonymous

• I usually changed my kids right in their stroller. I think those changing stations are a little gross. they are good for emergencies I guess.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would like one. There have been times when I chanced on the sink or on the floor b/c there was no where else. Unlike the previous poster, I cannot use my stroller as it is an umbrella stroller. Sometimes I can do it in the car. I don't think it's necessary for *all* places to have them, just stores or restaurants where kids are welcome. IE IF they have a highchair, they should have a changing table. The ideal thing to do is buy a changing pad to keep in the diaper bag. They are not expensive and easy to clean. THen even if you change baby on the floor, you know it is still sanatary and comfortable for baby. I have one that came with a bigger diaper bag so it doesn't fit in the smaller one. But it works great when I do have it!
    Anonymous

• I agree, it would be nice, but legislated? I think it would be nice to have a recliner in every restroom so that nursing moms could have a private place. I think it would be nice to have family restrooms in every establishment to make it easier to change babies, toilet youngsters, and even for a husband to help his disabled spouse to use the bathroom, but I don't think that making it a law is a good idea. Instead businesses that do have such facilites should be patronised by people who are interested in them.

Answer by Bmat at 3:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• yes
    LuciensMom

Answer by LuciensMom at 3:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'd love it too! I've heard, however, that places don't install them because of insurance issues. I.e., they'd have to pay extra insurance in case someone fell off the changing table. I seriously think that chain restaurants should have a policy whereby all of their restrooms have changing tables. It drives me crazy to go into a McDonald's and not find a changing table!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009