• In the Spotlight:

I wanna get my belly button pierced.

But my DH says that over 50% of people that get them have to take them out because they get infected. Is this accurate or close to accurate. did it happen to you?

dani28

Asked by dani28 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• The main reason why they get infected is from people playing with them with their dirty hands and not even thinking about it. Its really hard to keep your hands off of it, lol.

Mine got infected, due to me not cleaning my hands (i was 15) and my dad told me to take it out and I asked him if I did if he would take me back to get it again and he said no, so I kept it in, lol, and started cleaning it really good, and now almost 8 years later I still have it. No problems since then - and it went right back in when after I had my daughter (I took it out around 4 months pregnant and put it in 3 days after we got home from the hospital)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I got it pierced 3 times...and every single time it got badly infected and I had to take it out. I thought it was something I was doing wrong....but nope. My aunt had it done and had to take it out as well.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would say NOT EVEN CLOSE to accurate. I have had mine for 5 years and going on my second pregnancy. Mine never got infected. Only two people of te hundreds of people I know with them got infections.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yep, it does. My sis and I both got one, it stayed pretty clear for a long time though. It got infected I got into a pool, which had way to much clorine in it. And it just like fell out. I guess the clorine just ate through the infected skin. My sis's also got so infected she had to take it out. But if I didn't have strectch marks everywhere and my big ole belly I would get another. You just have to be tedious every day with it and keep it extremely clean. Also you will have to infest in low rise jeans or it will get hung up all the time, also sweaters are a no no.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've had mine for 10 years and through one pregnancy. I love it. check out tummytoys. Bellyrings have come a long way mine is ,whitegold with a diamond. Its subtle and hardly anyone knows I have it.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i never had to take mine out except for when i was pregnant and it was hurting cause of the skin stretching. Yes it does take time to heal and yes there is a little puss and goo that you have to get out every day and sometimes a few times a day but it does heal. Mine did take the full 6 months to heal but since then i have never had a problem with it. I can touch it and mess with it and i have never gotten an infection. I think it jsut all depends on how good you take care of it the first month or so.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I HAD MY BELLY BUTTON PIERCED AND IT DID GET INFECTED. NOW I HAVE A REALLY BAD SCAR BECAUSE OF IT.BUT I THINK IT DEPENDS WHERE YOU HAVE IT DONE.TRY INVESTIGATING OF A REALLY GOOD PLACE TO GET IT DONE. I WAS YOUNG WHEN I HAD IT DONE AND I DIDN'T REALLY CARE WHERE I GOT IT DONE. NOW I HAVE THIS SCAR TO REMIND ME
    Anonymous

• I pierced it myself once...of course it got infected. I got it pierced again by a professional when I was 18 (I'm 25yr now) Never had an issue with it after that. I still have it! I had to buy a "special" bar bell for it when I got pregnant but I was kept it in the whole time with both my kids. I love my belly ring...even if my belly isn't "show off" quality anymore...I got it for me & I keep it for me.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i'll probably get bashed for this but at our local fair over the summer there was a tattoo and peircing place there and my daughter got hers done and it was fine. find a reputable tatoo parlor and as long as you take care of it like they tell you too it will be fine. they have a product called wound wash they sell it at walmart that is what she was told to use to take care of it. and no problems the day after christmas we found the tatoo parlor that did her belly and she had her nose and ear done and all is well. i just think hubby doesnt want you to do it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• they have plastic ones for pregnancy.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009