How to get my daughter back to playing on her own?

My 5 month old daughter just started going to daycare two days a week. Prior to her starting there I could put her down on her play mat or in her activity center and she would be fine entertaining herself with me nearby for at least 10 min. However, just two days there and now she doesn't want to do anything by herself. How to get her back to normal? I also found out from my husband that in the two days that she's been there she hasn't let anyone put her down. How to fix this? Should I talk to her pediatrician about this?

wannabskinym

Asked by wannabskinym at 10:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so did she just start? as a former daycare/preschool worker i have noticed that it takes about 2 wks for kids to adjust - some longer than that, especially since she's not going more often...it'll take her some time...i think it'll be okay to just sit her down to play on her own and even if she's whining, she's not hurting...so just go about your business for about 10 minutes and keep doing it consistently so she'll get used to it...now at daycare they're probably holding her b/c she cries ... they hold her to keep her from crying all day...and they need to stop that or she won't get any better...you can talk to her caregiver and ask them to allow her to sit and put toys around her (or in bouncer) and even if she cries just go about their business so that she understands that she can't be held all the time...good luck!
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008