dreft?

i want to go ahead a start washing my baby clothes before he comes, with my daughter i bought the dreft to wash her cloths until she was older but i was told that its ok to wash newborn cloths in regular detergent. is that true? it would be easier to wash his cloths with my daughters but i dont want to give him a rash

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dunno, I used Dreft until actually just this last load, lol, i ran out and used ours and she hasn't broken out, but she is 8 months old now.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• yes lots of mothers do it. they can become irritated from it, but they can be irritated with Dreft as well. its their skin and every skin type is different. do what youd like to do. i washed my daughters in regular but with not the regular amount of detergent
    Anonymous

• It all depends on the baby, I think. We bought Dreft, but we washed one outfit in our normal detergent and he didn't get a rash so now we just wash all the clothes together.
    Anonymous

• Regular detergent here...but the kind for sensitive skin.

I even bleached the whites, but rinsed a second time.

I have a son with sensitive skin and he's never had a problem with laundry...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't spend the money on Dreft. I start with regular detergent and then if the baby shows any sign of skin irritation, then I would try Dreft but not unless I have to.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• thank you
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yeah I've never used Dreft. We just use the Free and Clear detergent that has no dyes or fragrances of whatever brand is cheapest or happens to be on sale. Usually it's either All or Arm&Hammer. I've washed a load of my son's clothes in regular detergent once or twice when I was out of the other kind, and it didn't do anything to him. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i would wait until he is born. if you are always holding him against your clothes and he doesn't break out then i think its safe to use regular detergent. but for now i would use Dreft until he is born and you find out for sure. better safe than sorry!
    Mrs.Loeffel

Answer by Mrs.Loeffel at 3:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I just use whatever brand is on sale, but the free and clear version. Dreft is NOT that great, because it has scent and color. If I'm out of detergent, I'll use some of my moms, but put it on a double rinse cycle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I always use a chemical free one. Seventh Generation works good. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009