Should I force my son?

Ok I have a 5 yo that is ADHD, ODD, and Bipolar, along with some learning issues as well. Due to him being this way I have to in some ways treat him differently. Well this is really bothering my 6 yo. I have mentioned to my 6 YO that he could speak to a theropist but he refuses to. Should I force him to go. weather he likes it or not? Last year he was having trouble with his attitude in School so he went to a theropist over the summer. It did help him His attitude in school this year is great. I have tried doing extra thing with my 6 yo hopeing that would help. He just seems to have a hard time accepting his brothers issues.. What can I do.. Also I don't know if it is important or not but my 6yo in in 1st grade at a 2 grade level, never was in preschool, has a big heart for others, and is pretty responsible for his age..

dani28

Asked by dani28 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• If your 6 yo is neuro-typical, I'd leave it alone. He'll realize eventually that his brother has different needs. HOWEVER, I'd make it clear to him that the option is always open. His brother is in therapy, right? He's still a very little guy, even if he is advanced, so it's hard for him to understand.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't force him to go, but let him now he can go whenever he is ready. Keep doing the one on one time and talk to him about his brother. So that he can understand it's not his brother's fault.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 3:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I might try a different therapist, because maybe he doesn't like the one he does see, but more important, a therapist can give you help in getting him to talk to you better about the difficulities he might be having. But whatever you do, don't give up with therapy. Hope things get better for you and your sons.
    Anonymous

• My older two daughters were upset when I parented my youngest daughter with
    ADHD & ODD differently. I kept explaining to them what was going on and showing them examples of similar things they were doing and how they were being parented and they finally understood, especially when they were old enough to see how exhausting and frustrating it was for me to parent my youngest.
    Now that my youngest is 15 and her ADHD & ODD is more heightened, even with meds, she gets extremely angry for being parented differently than her older sisters were. Especially when we won't allow her certain priveleges that we granted them because she is immature and has unsafe behavior.
    It's just a topsy-turvy world with children whether they have disabilities or not.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would have him to go a couple of times and then let him decide after that. He may need to talk about his feelings of unfairness. It is hard to have a sibling with issues. Have you looked into groups for this? Sometimes kids can benefit from that...relating to others who are dealing with similar things. And I would continue doing special things with him occasionally even if he says he doesn't care. He needs it, and I think he will benefit from it. He should get some attention for being who he is, as well. I am sure you let him know how special you think he is...and that is great for him.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2009