I'm having trouble keeping up producing enough milk for my 7 week old baby and i'm trying to produce more milk so I can store it for when I go back to work.. any other suggestions on how to increase breastmilk production?

I'm already taking fenugreek.

tober8092

Asked by tober8092 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink a lot of water. Feed your infant more often.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Nurse as often as possible. Drink lots of water like another poster said. Also, look for Mother's Milk tea or something along those lines. The Yogi brand makes some and there are other's out there as well. Eat oatmeal for breakfast. Not the instant kind, but real oatmeal. Contact a lactation consultant in your area and check out http://llli.org/ for more info.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Pump before you feed. i know it sounds counterproductive...but your baby is much more efficient than the pump so even when you've gotten all you can out with the pump...your baby can get more. This will make sure your boobs are empty at each feeding and increase demand on your boobs and thus increase production. (The increase usually takes 24-48 hours to become noticeable)

Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You don't need to store a lot before returning to work. In order to maintain your supply when you are working you should pump out each day the amount of milk baby needs at day care, then you send that to day care the next day. Save the "freezer stash" for emergencies. If you routinely take from your freezer stash your supply will drop.

Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby.)

Lots of great info at pumping and preparing for return to work at http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My doctor told me that the more I pump, the more I will produce. I was either pumping or feeding every our and a half (twins). By the end I was pumping almost 20 oz at a time (and donned the nickname the dairy queen). I don't know what kind of pump you have, but a lactation doctor told me that the kind you buy in a department store is actually best used once in a while. For the following reasons: the plastic used can actually aggrivate the skin on our breasts, and the pumps are low grade ones - meaning that they don't suck a lot. She recomended that I rent one from the hospital. And it was great I was able to produce more milk a lot quicker and when I needed to pump when I was out I just used the portable one. We were able to rent ours for free, but I don't know if there are fees in other hospitals. Call your local hospital(s) and see if they offer this service. If not, just remember we supply as much milk that is needed.
    gemini_twin_mom

Answer by gemini_twin_mom at 5:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Don't give your baby formula if your already breastfeeding thats lazy and you will no have a nursing relationship with your baby. Try pumping right after you feed or depending on how long your baby sleep in between feedings. All i have to do is think about milk and mine comes in somtimes.lol idunno if the fenugreek works I couldn't find it anywhere, maybe I didnt look hard enough. Drink lots of water and eat healthy foods, and feed feed feed your little one. Good Luck!
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 5:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group. There's a sticky post on the homepage with every supply increasing tip known to woman.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• im not really sure but for all i know from what my friends said to me but never tried drinking alcohol supposedly fulls your breast with milk and their still breast feeding (oh and they don't do it that much they do it once in while).
    Anonymous

• I stored a TON of milk before going back to work... and what I found is that I didn't really need any of it!
    So even if you can get a few extra ounces a day you should be fine! I've been back to work for 3 months and have only used 24 oz of it total (usually because of a crazy day at work where I wasn't able to pump)
    You will pump at work and hopefully it will be all that your baby drinks during the day when you are gone.
    Oh and I should add... I got my HUGE frozen milk supply by pumping an extra time before I went to bed and he was already sleeping... my body got used to the demand at the same time everynight so after awhile I was making 4-6 oz every time even if he had just eaten an hour before!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Why do you think you're not supplying enough?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009