• In the Spotlight:

How do I help my daughter find a child to adopt?

My daughter and her husband are childless and they want to adopt a child. They own a home and have applied to an adoption agency. They went through all the bells and hoops and have not heard from them yet. They are getting desparate. I told them I would spring for AI and they informed me that they want their child to be his. He is not viable and the doc. told them he will never father a child. I told them since they are married, any child she has would be his but they won't budge. She cries every month. I bet she single handedly kept the pregnancy test people in business and they have been married for about 10 years. I would be so happy to see them have a child. Their timetable is running out for her to have a child since she is into her 30's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I'm sorry they're going through such a tough time. Are they wanting to adopt an infant or are they open to older children?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Why don't you try the foster to adopt program offered by the state social service office. There are many great kids out there in the foster care system that needs to be adopted. Once you apply for foster parenting they will have to take PRIDE classes and go through a home inspection. They can request the age group they want and the office will place children in their home that are up for adoption and the right age group. Often some mom's are using drugs during pregnancy and the state takes the children right out of the home and into a home. My neighbor in San Antonio, Tx got her daughter that way. She was only 2 days old out of the hospital, when the mom resurrendered her rights she adopted the little girl. She had the little girl since she was two days old and she is now 4 years old and adopted by them. The state paid for everything, and she got paid why she had her in foster care in home.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 3:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Continued: We are in that process it takes about three months to finish all the classes etc...and get certified, but once you do you get to spend time with the child and determine if that is the right child for you. My husband and I we have four kids, but we want more and I can't have more so we are going through this process.

Also, I had a great friend that said, if you go to countries like Mexico the adoption is very quick and simple so maybe she should consider that.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 3:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They are open to any age. They went through the DHS foster program and had the inspections and everything, went to classes. This has been going on for about a year and they haven't heard anything from them. I don't know if they didn't meet the financial criteria or what hap. They just haven't heard anything. They called, wrote a letter and even emailed their caseworker and still nothing. I guess patience is a virtue.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter and her husband have done everythng right...this stuff takes time. You might also see if there are any crisis pregnancy centers in the area...they can probably give you some more guidance.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009