The art of BF in public??.....

I want to be able to go out more with my baby and feed him in public what is the art of feeding? Right now hes a good eater but I have to put towels down otherwise we both end up soaked and I have to hold my boob for him because its so big if I let it go he looses suction. So hints??

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stand in one place to get your latch on, covering up as much as you can, but don't stress about it! You don't see formula feeders trying to hide their bottles away and being embarrassed to show how they feed their children!!

You're not going to flash the entire store. And if someone gets a peep in the one second between baby unlatching and you reaching up to cover your breast, that's their business for staring so long.

People are embarrassed of seeing BFing in public because they're afraid they're going to be seen as perverts.. Me.. I look. I'm proud to say I look, because I'm proud of BFing moms, and I support us all.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Wow, all these anon posters are pretty rude today...a baby's gotta eat no matter where you are so I say do it, just do it tastefully, I see women BF in public all the time and it's no big deal, they make these cover things that go over you and baby, I'm sure you've seen them, just take one of those and a towel and everything should be fine...
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes, we DO want to see your giant boobs. I would love nothing more than to see more women breastfeeding in public!!!!

Your baby is only a month old, so it can be very difficult at this point.. What you want to do is practice breastfeeding around the house while you put dishes away, or pick up laundry.. That will teach you to walk around with a baby attached and not lose the latch..

As for once you're actually ready to go out in public - don't WORRY about the rest of the world! It is not YOUR JOB to make them comfortable. It is your job to tend to your child. You're out for every other reason everyone else is- to shop! If you stopped and sat in your car every five minutes for a nurse session- be it nutritional or comfort feed, you'd NEVER get ANYTHING done!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Honestly, if it's an embarrassment thing, get a hooter hider. I love mine and then second if you are using a football or clutch hold (I'm not so talented in other positions because of my big girls) use a blanket, or your diaper bag as a pillow under his butt and legs. Practice, practice, practice. Can't say it enough. I have lots of men in my family, so I had to FIRST get comfortable nursing in front of them, so take it from me (my LO is almost 5 months and we are EBF) just keep trucking, it's sooo worth it! Bottom line you HAVE to stop caring about what other people think, and just put YOU and your BABY first. Leakage? bring lots of nursing pads (I like Johnson and Johnson's, they are thick!) and a few burp cloths, for clean up. You will regulate soon enough.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• A simple trick to help hide more breast- put a big hat on baby.
    Most kids won't stand to be under a blanket or anything that hides them from the world. So stick a hat on their head, and voila! Instant coverage!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Get a Hooter Hider (really, that's what they are called!) or a Bebe au Lait nursing cover. They work great and they are so pretty and stylish. Part of doing it successfully is choosing the right spot (and practice). Some bathrooms in department stores have chairs to sit in (when my friend was nursing in the bathroom at Nordstrom one of the employees offered to go get her some water). Park benches. Somewhere as quiet as possible so baby isn't distracted. I'll admit that I always did it in the car at first, but once I got used to the awkwardness of doing it in the car I was able to do it elsewhere. I'm not sure what to say about the excessive milkiness. How is that happening?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You mention being worried about "getting soaked". I wonder if you have an oversupply of milk. take a look at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

That may at least tkae care of the getting soaked problem!

Also, practice lifting your shirt from the bottom and kind of slipping baby under.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You can get a nursing tank to put on under your shirt so that you don't have to have your belly out (it's cold and it feels like you are exposing less). Use a blanket to cover baby's head. If you sit still people probably won't even notice!

I hate that it's okay for women to show their boobs if it is in a sexual context (sexy clothes and such) but to do it to feed your baby is taboo. WTF is up with that? Their purpose is for baby feeding not for the sexual delight of men (and women too I guess!). If they find them sexy that's great, it's also their problem. It shouldn't be a determining factor on wether you can feed your baby or not though! Ugh! Sorry I had to vent a little bit. I know it's just the way it is, it doesn't mean we have to like it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've not yet read all the replies, but I'd suggest nursing in front of a mirror, so you can see how little is actually seen by others. That can be a great confidence booster.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• No one has the right to tell a nursing mother to stay in the car. This will only make the question asker more self conscious.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009