Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do we tell our landlord what he is doing is illegal?

Okay well our landlord told my dh last sunday that we have the until the first of Feb. to move out and the reason why we didnt have a rental agreement is so he could throw us out at anytime. He needs to make our unit apart of his house again for the bank. Well i talked to someone at fair housing and she told me we do not move out until he gives us a written notice for 30days. How would we go about tell him that? Do we write a letter? What should it say? We dont want to make it a huge problem but we have a baby and we always paid him rent! Only once late and he said it wasnt an issue! Help!


Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Pm me my hubby works for Housing. That is bs what he is doing.

    Answer by jareda69 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • Just call him and say what you just said. Once he knows that you spoke to someone at Fair Housing he'll probably sent you a letter giving you 30 days' notice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • write him a letter make a copy and then send it to him reistered mail so you have proof you sent it he has to sign for it

    Answer by jodi205 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I agree with the person above me and also if he doesnt listen report him to the police.

    Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I would write a letter to him also make a copy for yourself, I would send it certified. May I ask why didn't you get a written agreement? Do you have proof you paid him rent?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • tell him that you have a baby and you need a little more time to get out and you'll be out in 30 days and if he refuses to let you have 30 days tell him that it may not be a big deal to him but it is to you and you know what he is doing is illegal and unless you have a eviction notice in your hand that you won't be moving out until you get one and if he has any sort of compassion at all then he will give you the thirty days and if he dosen;'t then he deserves to have the courts brought in to the situation

    Answer by Kagjugee at 4:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • YOu can write a letter but I would contact your local legal aid. They do this stuff all the time and if you dont have alot of money are your best bet. I went to them once because in my 20s my friend was my landlord and decided she was going to kick me out because we got into a fight. I couldnt believe she did that LOL. Then I got served with papers saying I hadnt paid rent, which I had and had receipts. I went to legal aid and they did everything for me. I still moved but wasnt evicted or kicked out. I was able to have more time to move and on my terms not her mental terms.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • op here
    we have receipts from every month we paid rent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • well if he doesn't know to give you notice then just stay until you can move out. he will eventually find out that he has to send you notice but until then you have some time. plus i think it's 30 days notice. my mother rented space so she knows but every state is different but if you were told this then she is right.

    Answer by melody77 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • What state are you in? In CA he MUST give you 30 days written notice. Contact a landlord/tenant attorney or legal aid.

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

Next question in Relationships
how is this fair

Next question overall (Teens (13-17))
my 14 year old daughter....