How Old Was Your Baby When You First Took Them To The Pool?

I thought I was going to have to sit out all summer long.
But about a week ago I decided to give it a try.
And my 3mth old likes it.
Is that bad to take her?

kookiekayla

Asked by kookiekayla at 11:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course not! The sooner a child starts swimming the less likely they will fear water when they are older. I always kept a blanket handy to ward off chill when they got out. Being a sahm I found it a good opurtunity to socialize, share and make friends. Sunscreen, hats and toys were a must. Some say children know how to swim at birth!
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My girl was born May 26th, and we went to the pool all summer long! Put some sun block on her ( i know many people tell you not to, but her pediatrician told me its better for her to be exposed to the small amount of harmless chemicals in baby sunscreen than to get an even mild sunburn) and have a blanket- in case she gets cold. Go out and have fun!!
    cornfamilyzoo

Answer by cornfamilyzoo at 11:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Have fun!
    Make sure you rinse off the pool water and put regular lotion on her afterwards - you don't want her baby skin to dry out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i took my son into the pool for the first time at 6 month when we went to ocean city maryland for vacation. he got him this little car that he can sit in while being in the pool and he love being in the car and pool.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I read that if you wait a year, your baby will have less chance of viral infections, you know, like catching germs in a pool before the immunites are caught up. but i have a 5 month old and we get those swimmers on and i put him up to his diaper. id just suggest not putting him under water yet, however im not a professional. ask ur doc.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter loved the pool! We went went she was 7 months because that's when it opened. We would've went sooner. We just put plenty of sunblock on her and one of us held her tight. She refused to wear swimmys. We eventually got her one of those little car thingys when she was more steady but she prefers for mommy to hold her. She had a blast. She cried when it was time to go. In fact, now that summer is over i am going to look into swim classes for her since she loves it so much.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2008