Recovery after a tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy?

How long was your kids' recovery after a tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy? My 4yo was doing great the first 2 days, then he started feeling worse. Now he is sleeping most of the day but screaming bloody murder at night b/c his throat still hurts. Is this normal?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son just had an adnoidectomy on Monday. He was back at daycare the next day. I would definitely call the doctor. That does not seem normal to me.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Really? Our Dr said he shouldn't be around kids for 7 days b/c of the infection risks.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Hmmm...mine still has his tonsils but they took adenoids...maybe that's why...I dunno. I still think it's worrysome that your son was okay for a day or two and not isn't. Should be the other way around! LOL
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son was 5 when he had his done, same exact thing. He was out of school for 2 weeks. He felt actually really well the first 2 days also, then it all went down hill. His doctor prescribed a med. for his throat so it wouldn't hurt as bad. Dr. said if he cried allot it would make the healing process of throat longer. He even actually ate normal food for the first 2 days. He couldn't run and play or over ex-cert himself for 2 weeks, Dr. ordered. It will get better but you might want to see about getting him some pain med. for his throat so it doesn't hinder the healing process.
    Rhonda35

Answer by Rhonda35 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Its because of the scab growing on it, I know kinda gross but it will take up to 2 weeks for her to be over it, try laying an ice pace on her throat that helped me, but i was 17 when it happened and the biggest baby you ever since, lol my boyfriend did not even want to be around me lol, but all the pain is from it healing, just make sure not blood or anything and nothing red so you can keep an eye on it and if it gets too bad call the doctor and let them check it out.

hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 9:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• my seven year old just had his out and it took him two full weeks to feel normal again... most drs will tell you 7 to 14 days... hope he gets better... my other son which is 4 had adnoids and tubes in his ears and he was normal in three days... but if your son had tonisls out he will be down for a few days ok up to 14 days...
    myluv4eeyore

Answer by myluv4eeyore at 10:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2008