Why don't people try to understand?!?

While reading these posts it's very obvious that the women on here don't do their homework about eachothers religions. I've even seen comments like "I don't care what you believe" or "I don't need to understand why you are wrong".

So my question is do you wish people would do some homework on your religion BEFORE they assume they know things about you and it. And in turn do you do any looking in to theirs before you open your mouth?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I only talk about what I know. If I don't I just shush up. I don't want to look like a fool. But your right people should do their homework if they are gonna trash other people.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 4:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oh my Goddess yes.

The misconceptions about other religions that come from people are absolutely astounding to me. In this day and age there is no reason not to have the knowledge.

I had a fellow Cafemom-er once ask me about my beliefs, why I believed them, etc. When I asked why she said she wanted to know her enemy. I didn't take offense. She didn't agree with my beliefs but at least she took the time to gain some basic knowledge about those beliefs before trying to tell me and other Pagans why we were wrong.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It amazes me everyday, the uneducated drivel I read in this category. So many people have no idea what they are talking about and are so prejudiced. This category is living proof how prejudice is alive and well in this country. I see more hate here than anywhere else on this site. Of course, there are many people who are open minded and educated, but they are in the minority.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Since it's my question I'll go first. I have studied other religions and continue to do so. I find the majority of them very interesting. I was raised by my mother who is a JW, 2 different step fathers who were both Athiest and a Roman Catholic family. From little up I was taught all of it. As a small child I came accross a book in the school library called "Black Magic, White Magic" and a second called "The Magic Cauldron" and read them. From that point on I felt that I had found my path. It was a constant fight because my mother believe that she was the only one that was allowed to decide what religion I would be... Once I left home I was finally able to find my path. I continue to do so. I do wish people would do some reading on paganism in general and discover that just because I'm a witch doesn't mean I have green skin and a broom (I prefer a vacume, lol!).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I try to be open mined where other religions are involved but sometimes it's rather difficult when I'm faceing people with my mothers "My way or No way" attitude...

• Okay, I guess I went 4th... lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• its sad. i try very hard to only say what i know...and if its something i heard i make sure to put that i dont believe it, that its not necessarily true, feel free to correct me, etc. i also make sure to put "some" or "many" instead of all. cause no matter what you're talking about no religion ALWAYS does anything...
    example: SOME Christian denominations are especially bad about teaching that they are the one & only way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am going to a friends tonight to take part in Shabbot and learning about the Jewish faith. In turn she goes to celebrations of mine sometimes. Shes coming to Imbolic with me. So we are getting to understand more about eachother just by attending and asking nice questions.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• That is cool pnwmom. When I lived in SC, I had a girlfriend of mine that was Jewish...the faith is very interesting, her family taught me a lot...still have tons to learn though. :-) Enjoy.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I try to and I will tell you why.I have found that every belief under the sun has some truth.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2009