Tiny escape artist

My seven month old daughter can get of nearly anything. She is about the size of a five month old though and if I put her in her crib she nearly breaks her tiny arms getting them stuck in awkward angles. Vibrating chairs she gets out of and then overturns them on herself the bassinett worked for a while but now she has learned how to use her weight to tip it over. Naptime and bedtimes are hell because I cant get her to stay put anywhere! Any suggestions?

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 4:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a little escape artist, too. She usually ends up falling asleep with on or more of her limbs hanging out of the crib. I had to take the bumper pads out because she was using them to try to climb out of the crib.

I did get a suggestion to make obstacle courses for her out of pillows. Then she can climb and roll and get her need to escape out of her system. Make sure there's lots of bumps and it's hard to climb over. I set it up for her 30-45 minutes before nap/bed time and so far it has worked. She tries less to escape from her crib. Or maybe try one of the toddler/baby gym classes.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Your title made me lmao!!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well, stop using swings or bouncey seats (vibrating chair?)...those are a danger.

Do you have bumpers in her crib to help keep her arms and legs in?

The basinette is a danger, too.....

Playpen? (pack-n-play)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would try a pack N play for play time and naps... she would be contained and here isn't anywhere to get her arms stuck
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i gotta agree with previous posters pack and play sounds like your best bet! Sounds like you have a dare devil on you rhands. By the way babies do not NEED to sleep in cribs they are just very convienent. One of the local foster moms kept a special needs infant in a playpen in her rom with her until she turned one and then the law states she had to be in her own room...but she still slept in a playpen :)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/boards/read/6864942/Crib_tent_HELP

Another mom was having this issue and someone suggested a crib tent. It zips from the outside, has mesh on the sides, and I think I read that you put the mattress on top of it, so they can't get out the bottom. I'm a foster parent and am not allowed to use this "restraint", but maybe it would help you.

But also a pack & play would work until she can pull herself over the side. LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Normally at night she cosleeps and she is fine with that but thanks for all the responses, a pack n play it is I guess. (and i like the obstacle course idea!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• For the crib, I'd suggest a crib tent. It encloses the inside with mesh - so she can't get her arms and legs caught in the bars now - and it has an attached dome - so she can't climb out in the coming months. Mine has been a godsend.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009