How do you deal?

With finding out your 16 and a half year old sister is pregnant? She's due about a month after i am(I'm 22 and have a 2 year and have been married for almost 4 years) I want to be there for her but then again I have my own worries! My mom is just angry and disappointed!! My sister had an abortion a year ago almost to the date of finding out she's pregnant again!!!(no bashing i was totally against it but was 7 hour away with no way to stop it) She expects her 16 year old boyfriend to stick around!!! I just don't know what to do!! I feel so selfish!! because i'm actually planning a baby shower and stuff for my baby this time!! and my first instinct is you aren't going to steal my glory like my sister in law did with my son!!!! Someone help me and my mom we both need some advice!!!

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• All you can do is be as supportive as possible. Ever heard the phrase "Hate the sin, love the sinner"? You don't have to like the fact that she's preggo at 16, but you should stick around... especially for the baby. Chances are, she'll be looking to you for alot of advice. I'm sure it's difficult to handle, but she should be commended for choosing to parent her child. I highly doubt that her BF will stick around, but that's just another adult thing she'll have to deal with. Good Luck with everything.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:08 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• She made her decision. She feels she is an adult. Perhaps she should be treated like one. Pay rent, get a job and an education. It's a hard way to start out. Please stll love her and support her. There will be days both of you will want to scream or yell or even give up. Maybe a private dinner party can be given for her to welcome the little one. It isn't the baby's fault. You dont want to flaunt the behavior but a blessing should still be celibrated even in hard times.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I can give you one piece of advice- dont alienate her. She is going to need all the good help she can get, and I dont mean asking her teenage friends advice on baby issues and getting the wrong answer. She needs to know she can come to someone who has been there, and that person may as well be you! You dont want this to ruin your relationship with her, so just be her friend, and dont lecture her. She is probably scared and worried enough as it is, even if she is not showing it.
    cornfamilyzoo

Answer by cornfamilyzoo at 11:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• yeah, she's going to need lots of support and help...especially after reality sinks in and she's stuck w/o a baby daddy (more than likely)...this sucks that so many young ppl are having babies when they're still babies themselves! just be there for her...and don't let her birth get you down and don't feel like it'll steal your thunder...i know that must suck! a few months after having my son Jordan my friend had a little girl and had the nerve to name her Jordin...i'm still upset about that!
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• What a great example of a mom you can be to your sister. She is going to need you and her Mom more than ever. She's got a lot of growing up to do in a very short space of time.I know that you guys are disappointed, move on , now is not the time to dwell on it. She's going to have enough condemnation from others.Help her to finish her education ,teach her to be independent and not rely on handouts.She is going to be the only support for her child and education is paramount. I wish you all well
    Rebecca02

Answer by Rebecca02 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008