Is it true that homes in Florida don't have basements?

I was surprised to see we would get way more for our money in Florida than we would in Colorado. We may need to relocate but dh said Florida homes don't have basements!

marihand

Asked by marihand at 4:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Most don't because the water table is too high. That goes for most of the south.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• That is correct. Most don't because Florida is UNDER sea level and would flood.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• LOL, no basements in FL because most of the state is below sea level.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• most of the south doesn't have basements unless it's a walk out and the home was built on a hill. A lot of homes have car ports instead of garages down there too and instead of a shed you might have a big closet type thing at the back of your carport.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yep, true. My in-laws just moved from there.
    LisaZot

Answer by LisaZot at 7:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't have a basement!!! I wish I did!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• why do you need a basement, i have one and it floods every year
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They don't, but that's a good thing for them. Why do you need a basement anyway?
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I've just always had a basement. It's a great place to store stuff like Christmas decorations, etc. Plus, you can finish it off and have a whole extra living space. Great place for all those toys.
    marihand

Answer by marihand at 10:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yes it is true that homes in Florida usually don't have basements. That’s because the water table is far too high here and it is considered as the low coastal area. In digging too far, it normally hit the water table and the soil get unstable that does not allow to have basement at home. Even I have a house in Boca Raton which I had bought last year from Albanese Builders that also doesn’t have basement because the potential of flooding is very big in this area.
    ayannacurran

Answer by ayannacurran at 2:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2013