What was the most helpful thing your support person did during your labor?

I am getting ready to have my first all natural birth at home, and my husband wants to be a big part of the labor. He is going to deliver the baby, but I need him to support me in labor. He has no idea how, and I dont either!

cornfamilyzoo

Asked by cornfamilyzoo at 11:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My support person was my SO and he just asked me what I needed. He was there to rub my back if I needed it. He just stayed by my side through the entire labor. He held my hand, he walked me through contractions, and let me lean on him and dance back and forth when contractions got worse. Tell him what you want him to do ahead of time. I know that when labor is active and progressing it was hard for me to know what to tell people. I just wanted to know that he was there and could help me through each stage. If you want more information send me a message. Good luck with the home birth!
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• The biggest thing my husband helped me do was breathe. When he noticed I was not using the breathing techinques we learned he started breathing the right way and helped to calm me and follow his lead.
    AWL

Answer by AWL at 11:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Rub my back, my neck, gave me ice chips, rubbed my feet, held my hand and was just overall there when I needed him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• In the delivery room is my dh, my mom and my best friend. For all of them, the only thing I wanted was to be left alone and dont talk. I had to tell them a few times to shut up during a contraction.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 12:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Constant back rub for back labor and..he shut up when I said shut up..lol. Transition is harsh sometimes..LOL.
    Anonymous

• The most important thing my husband did that helped me during labor was to kick everyone else out of the room, besides him. Once my contractions were strong, the pain was so bad that I didn't feel comfortable with anyone else being in there besides him. Its a vulnerable and intimate thing, when you are in that much pain. Beforehand, I had thought I wouldn't mind people being in there, until transition and pushing, but I had told him that if I signaled to him that people needed to get out, for him to get them OUT! He did. His mother got all pissy and offended and even cried, but he told her it was my day, my labor and my pain and my choice. So we had a wonderful labor with just us and my nurse and it was great.
    JolnCourtney

Answer by JolnCourtney at 1:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• The best thing my guy did was rub my shoulders and not freak out, he was calm and talking calm to me which kept me calm. like "baby, your doing go great. keeping pushing honey. i love you sweetie. your doing such a great job." very calming i loved it.
    saralizzybeth

Answer by saralizzybeth at 1:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I had my sister, godmother, and my bf in the labor room but I had to have a c-section so he was the only person allowed in for the birth.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Hold my knees down by my ears. There's no way I can do that without help! :)
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 1:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008