Should I take this threat seriously?

My mom thinks my daughter isn't safe with me. Just because she is forever bumping her head into things and fell out of a chair a couple times my mom thinks I'm not protecting her enough. So I get upset because she's insinuated this a couple times already, my husband gets involved and she in turn threatens to call CPS on us. I'm not worried about CPS coming by. They're not going to find anything wrong. I'm just wondering if my mom is serious? And should I take it as far as not allowing her to see her grand daughter? Sounds harsh, but I'm not exactly overjoyed by her threat to me.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Sounds like a over-protective grandmother. Try talking with her with out getting upset, I know this is going to be tough but try that first. Good Luck!
    Melanie_Ann

Answer by Melanie_Ann at 5:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• First of all, remind your mom that it is YOUR child, not hers. Some grandparents feel the need to relive your childhood, by trying to raise your child. Secondly, if you child is falling a lot, I would have her ears checked out. There might be fluid in them that is causing balance issues.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My mom did this to me with my first child, and unfortunately I was young (18) and dumb and scared of losing my daughter she threatened SOOOO much that I finally gave her legal guardianship, which to this day I regret, my daughter is now 6 years old and lives in another state with my mom, I rarely get to see her because its so far, I hate that I ever did that.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'd be flat-out with her...tell her she needs to stop with the threats. I would only withhold your mom seeing your dd if it was a last resort. I can understand your mom is just worried about her granddaughters well-being, but threatening you is out of line. Either she makes the call or she doesn't, not just say it every time your around. How old is your dd?
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Hmmm..
    Well, I dunno..
    There's more to this story that you're obviously not telling us..
    I couldn't imagine my mom threatening to call CPS on me for any reason- not the least of which being that I'd never give her a reason to do so.. And if my mom were truly concerned about her grandchildren for some crazy reason, she wouldn't want them removed by some stranger, she'd be fighting for HER to have my children..
    I suggest you be honest with yourself about why your mom truly feels your child is better off with someone else.. You don't have to admit what you're doing here, but be honest with yourself- are your actions in the best interest of your child?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I like Liyoness's answer- she must have good reason to feel that way and if it were me I would worry why my child was always getting hurt- maybe a visit to the dr. to see if something is medically affecting her? My SIL was like this and dropped, yes dropped both of her girls as infants several times. All were accidents but accidents are preventable. Long story and way more to it but 2 years later the kids were removed from her and now are living with my parents.

ryan-hannahsmom

Answer by ryan-hannahsmom at 7:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'm sure your mother loves you very much and has a concern for the safety and well being of your child. Some grandparents couldn't care less about their grand kids. I think you should be grateful to have a mother that cares. However, in the matter of the threat I suggest you tell her to either call cps or stop the threats or she will have to forfeit seeing the child. I am sure she will do what is necessary to keep being able to see her grandchild.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Has your mom always been so controlling?
    AlabamaGrl

Answer by AlabamaGrl at 8:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• wow if she is threatening you id tell her to back off or she can stay out!!!
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My mom thinks my daughter isn't safe with me. Just because she is forever bumping her head into things and fell out of a chair a couple times............. If I was your mom, the next time I was at your house I'd hide a Nanny Cam. Because it sounds to me like your mom is right. You don't protect her enough. Do you even pay attention to her? She is probably threatening CPS to get you to step up your game and take better care of your daughter. And if they come when she has those bruises from supposedly falling and bumping her head, you may get hit with abuse and neglect charges.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2009