Sippy Cups: Handles or No?

I am thinking about introducing a sippy cup to my daughter and have decided to go with the soft tip ones. But I am wondering if I should get the ones with handles or not. I am thinking no handles because it will be more like her bottle, but I am not sure. What is your experience?

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• buy a few and see what they like, i found the best one for him was a nubby one where he had to bite the nipple to get the water/juice also its less mess then the ones with the valves that cant be cleaned, o and it has no handles but it depends on the kid
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I bought the no handles and the daycare said he was having trouble and they had to hold them up for him. He did great with the ones with the handles and is now on the bigger no handles with straws.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I used both for my son and daughter. Neither kid had an issue with either cup nor did they have a favorite. Kids are smart, they figure things out on their own pretty quickly.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I did 2 handles with the soft tip for the first one so that he could grasp it himself. He got really independent....Hmmmmm. Yes, handles are good.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I started my dd on ones with handles. She has a few no handles ones too, but it seems like they just make more with handles. She didn't care either way.
    Anonymous

• I've used both with all my kids. It didn't seem to make any difference if they had handles or not. With this baby we have one that happens to have handles. But, that's only because that happened to be one that we liked because of the soft tip.
    nAfrenzy

Answer by nAfrenzy at 5:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have used both as well. But my DD seems to like the ones with handles better, and yes the one with the soft tip, we use Gerber.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've never used one with handles and we gave sippy cups at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• handles with soft tip is a good start. but, buy the regular ones too...and try those, see which ones your baby goes for.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I started with ones that had handles since my little one's hands were simply too small to grip the cup otherwise.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009