Remedy for very dry hair??

Does anyone know of any concoction that can be made at home to help extremely dry hair???? Years ago I heard of something that had oatmeal in it that you make at home and was supposed to work wonders for your hair. Lol please help my hair is sooo dry and I don't have enough $$ for a hair treatment from the salon!!

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 11:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I posted this in the question about shiny hair, but it applys here as well.
    There are a few things you should do to keep your hair healthy. First, get haircuts regularly. If you want your hair to stay the same length, every 6 weeks, if you are growing it out every 2 months. Do not wash your hair daily. Every other day is good enough. This allows the natural oils from your hair to get all the way to the tips. Next use a hair mask weekly. The best I've found is one you can make yourself. Mix one egg, real mayonnaise, plain yogurt and olive oil. There isn't a set measurement for each, but base it on how long your hair is, once you've used this recipe a few times, you'll get the idea of how much to make every time. Mix that all up really well and put it in your clean hair for 20 minutes, then rinse out with hot water. The yogurt counteracts the mayonnaise, so you won't smell icky, you'll smell sweet.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• mayonnaise! Not even kidding!
    I have really dry hair too when I am pregnant, and I just go and get some deep conditioner for a few dollars at the walmart, and put it on my hair and put my hair up. I go outside in the sun for a while, or if the sun is not out, I will blow dry it- the heat really activates the conditioners. Then walk around and let it sit for a while. Rinse it out with cold water, and your hair should be a little better... Good luck!
    cornfamilyzoo

Answer by cornfamilyzoo at 11:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I was going to say mayo too.
    Arkaye

Answer by Arkaye at 11:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• LOL Mayo! It works :)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I always heard Mayo works great for dry hair, and eggs helps with shine.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 11:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Can you trim it a little to get the dead ends off? not much, just a little...then heat up a small bowl of OLIVE OIL in microwave (not too hot) then on DRY hair you rub the olive oil into the hair especially on the ends and the dry spots...i just do it all over! then wrap your hair in seran wrap or a towel to keep the heat in...wait until it's dried - can take awhile! then b4 putting water on it you massage some shampoo into your hair and try to work up a lather then you rinse it in the shower...i always use conditioner too...also, you can do this several times and i also buy the deep treatment conditioner that you can use 1 time a week (or more)...good luck!
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Shea butter will also do wonderful things for dry hair.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• my sisters hair is very coarse and dry. She uses real mayo (fat free or light won't work as well). She takes about three big serving spoons applies it all over and massages it through her her completely. She puts on an old shower cap. She lets it sit like 3-4 hours. While it's sitting she cleans house so the time isn't wasted. Then she showers and rinses first with cold water. Then a very light shampoo.

Hot Oil treatments from VO5 work good too. They aren't too expensive.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• cocconut oil and after lime
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• mayo. and don't wash it so much,.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2008