Breastfeeding just by pumping?

I was wondering if it was possible? Just to feed breastmilk by pumping. Iwould like to give the benefits of the breaskmilk but I also like the simplicity of bottle feeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What do you mean by "simplicity" of bottle feeding?
    You do realize if you pump that you then have to unfreeze the milk, warm it up, clean bottles, and do all those extra steps, right?
    And you also realize that once pumped, breastmilk loses some of its nutritiousness??
    Really, there is nothing simpler than breastfeeding..
    If you would like to talk about some of the reservations about doing so, I'd be happy to help you through the hurdles.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes. You can do it any way you want.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It can be done...though exclusive pumping is a lot of work. Check out pumpingmoms.org.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes it is possible. I have to disagree with the simplicity part! When you Bf directly you have no bottles, or pump parts to wash and fill. When baby is hungry you have to focus on fixing a bottle first, then attend to baby, with BFding you just have to lift your shirt (so much easier in the middle of the night!) Soem exclusive pumping moms find it harder to maintain supply past 6 months. Many of the benefits of BFding, have to do with the physical act of BFding, not just the milk. Your body "learns" what antibodies to make for your baby by responding to baby's saliva. Proper jaw development, and skin to skin contact are other benefits. You may want to try BF for a month and see how it goes. If BF is not an option for you them pumping may be the way to go. You can always do both too!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Just to let you know, breastfeeding is WAY more simple than pumping, storing, reheating a special way, then feeding, then worrying about dribbleing, washing bottles, washing the pump, it's crazy time consuming and hard. Breastfeeding is way easy, whip boob out, then feed. SImple.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• With the simplicty thing I meant, pumping breastmilk vs. formula feeding, I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought pumping would be easy. I formula feed with my first one, but when the time comes for the 2nd, I may think about breastfeeding and/or pumping.

I appreciate everyone's answers, thank you!
    Anonymous

• It's possible, but it's a lot of extra steps. I did it for a while with my twins; it was a lot of work and I still had to prepare and clean bottles and feed them. Pumping is great for occaisional use or when you have to, but just nursing is the quickest and easiest way to get it all done.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Pumping and storing is cheaper than using formula, but it's not simpler. I think pumping and storing takes a lot more time and effort than mixing up formula.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I bottle fed two of mine and breastfed one and the one was soooo much easier, I personally did not like to pump, it took alot of time and I did not get alot of milk that way.. I only did it when I had too...

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i pumped b/c my DD wouldnt latch on. it is a lot of work & you will feel like you are constintly pumping! my advice is to invest in a REALLY good pump b/c if you dont you will go dry. the pump has to be able to get ALL your milk out or your body will start to think you arent BFing anymore. i had to start supplementing at 1 month & went dry at 2 months.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009