My DS Googled "SEX" adult content

He is 8-yrs-old. My DS and I often google together to look up Wii games to purchase next. We've also googled super heros so we could watch video game & super hero video clips on Youtube and other sites. So he knows how to use the search engine. I had my computer closed and ran downstairs to get laundry. Within the 5 or so minutes I was away, he kicked my DD out the room and told her to leave him alone so she went to her room to play. He logged onto my computer, opened internet explorer, typed in www.google.com, then entered in SEX. He clicked on the first link which took him directly to a porn site that featured girl on girl/lesbian videos. He clicked on a video which took him to a page where you have to register & become a member to view the video. He clicked on an ad on that same page that took him to a live web cam of two girls having sex with each other. The ads around the video were of men ejaculating on women & anal sex. I walked in too soon for him to exit out so he just closed my lap top. I picked up my lap top so I could begin doing homework and that's when I saw everything, reviewed the history and all.

I spoke with him privately and asked what he saw. He told me he didn't do anything. I asked him a second time and he cried and told me he would never do it again and that he was sorry. I started to address what sex actually is and he very firmly told me, "No! I don't want to talk about it with you." I understand that part. But I am SO upset & concerned that what he saw is going to warp his idea of true intimacy. His father, my XH, will not be of much help at all. His father will cheer him on. My DF will be home tomorrow and told me he'll take him for a walk and explain that sex is an expression of love and when adults do it they make babies. My DF says this is the age him & his friends at school began sharing information and searching for pornography.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Boys usually start puberty and having wet dreams at age 8. This is very normal and typical of a 8 year old to be curious about it. Hopefully he will feel comfortable talking with your DF.

Take a look at: http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/boy/boys_puberty.html
    USNavyWife0330

Answer by USNavyWife0330 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• Have you guys talked about sex at all before this? I think it's a normal, healthy curiosity, and definitely time to make this part of normal conversation. Keeping it taboo will make him search out other sources for info, which means he could get this kind of information, and plenty of misinformation. I think both you and your DF can help here, but it ultimately rests on your as his bio parent. You might even just say to him, "I imagine this has led to a lot of questions in your head about sex and what it's all about. When you are ready, I am here to talk openly about this." You CAN try to talk to him, even if he seems unresponsive. He will hear what you're saying, and take some of it in (even if not all of it right away), but it's time to get the open dialog going before the world bombards him with sex in ways we cannot prevent as parents. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• You need to stress to your son that his curiosity is normal! You need to password-protect your computer, and put on filtering software (norton family online is free, and works well; I have clients use it!)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2012