Refusing a c-section

I am not in this position, and would never be (being that I would not deliver in a hospital ever again!) but I am wondering has anybody here refused a c-section? All hospitals in my area do not support VBAC, has anyone ever birthed at a non vbac hospital after refusing surgery?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 12:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I didn't refuse a c-section. But, I didn't have my planned c-section. I (accidentally) waited so long to get to the hospital, that when I arrived, I was already "crowning" with my younger DD. I gave birth 13 min after arrival via an au natural (no drugs, not even an IV or monitor) VBAC. The nurses were laughing about having to make me sign all of the "going against Dr's advice" paperwork afterwards. But, I was very lucky that everything worked out and my DD was perfectly healthy.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• – collapse
    If they told me I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate. That's an arrogant, fucked up thing to do and you should lose your 'right' to be a parent right then and there.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• No I havent, but I ended up having to have a c-section at 35 weeks after being in hopsital for 5 days they scheduled a c-section for the 6th day, if I had refused one my daughter more than likely wouldnt be here, im all for whats best for the baby. Only way I would refuse one is if it wasnt for medical reasons for example a Dr wanting to give me one because they wanted to go away for the weekend etc etc. If I wanted to refuse a c-section because I wanted a VBAC I would find somewhere that is open to VBACS if it wasnt a hopsital, a birthing clinic etc rather than try to go somewhere that doesnt support them and try to force them to do one by refusing.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I wouldn't refuse it but I tried hard not to be put in a position where that was the final option. I hear the recovery is a bitch! In fact I almost went into a c-section with my first baby and the minute they said "c-section" I pushed as hard as I could and they finally got my beautiful girl out.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• There are reasons that certain docs don't do VBACS...my daughter was an emergency c-section and this one is scheduled for march 6....If it's what's safe, then what's the big deal?? I have nothing to prove to anyone and as long as my babies are healthy, that's all that matters :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• There's a big difference between a c-section being done simply because a doctor refuses to do a VBAC or because it's convenient for the doctor and a c-section being necessary. Of course there are times they are necessary! I think the OP here is talking about the former here. I'm not a big fan of unnecessary c-sections, but I also know that mine saved my son's life, and kept him from having possible brain damage from oxygen deprivation had I refused. But there ARE situations where a c-section is NOT necessary, which inthink is the OP's point. It's all about educating yourself and understanding the difference.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• even Michelle Duggar had to go dr shopping. every doc, clinic, hospital has preferences and policies. it's literally shopping, hunting around, making ph calls and visits til you find one.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• here in ireland the hospitals all support a vbac, i had a c with my first last dec and i am 36weeks now with my second and all hospitals here said they would rather i try frist befor they give me a csection as there is a 75percent change it will go fine. i had my first baby in new york and when i got pregnant with my second everywhere i went there all insisted on another csection,. it seems to be the american way.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 6:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• i never went against my doctor's advice, but i really wanted to VBAC with my 3rd daughter. however the insurance i had, only allowed me to see an OB instead of a midwife, and in most cases they all out refuse to let you VBAC. not to mention, it was too soon. i got pregnant 4 months after having my 2nd daughter, so in any case, my scar was too weak 13 months after the first c-section when it came time to deliver. now my youngest daughter is 2, and i dont plan on having anymore, but things always change so if in the future i have another baby, i will most certainly find a doctor that will let me VBAC if it is safe.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• As a mother's advocate, you can help moms become familiar with their rights and the laws.
    VBAC "bans" aren't legal and moms can choose medical procedures --or not, their choice. You can help them learn about the true options and to get support for them.  And about aInformed Consent.

For most women, health and safety are the priority so they will generally need to research OUTside of one suggestion, especially when that provider will gain personally.

Most cesareans are unneeded, avoidable and preventable. And *more* dangerous than a vbac.  But many women choosing to have them might not know this.

:-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2012