Should they be upset if their ride doesn't want to stay?? Vent

Had a conversation earlier and the comment was made that just irritated me. The nephew who's 10 has a school trip and need to get to school by a certain time. Mind you the child's mom decided at the last minute to let him go & now couldn't take off to do it herself and the grandfather that the child lives with might not be able to. So the uncle that also lives in the house was asked. He would drop him off at school but said that he would not wait for him to get on the bus. Grandma is upset that if the uncle can go out at night or not come home until early morning then he should be able to stay and watch him get on the field trip bus. My comment was why does he have to watch him get on the bus when his whole class is going w/ chaperons. So what you expect the uncle to sit and wait for up to half an hour or so & physically see him board the bus. The uncle works from noon to atleast 11pm. The only time he has to go it is on Fri & Sat. But that's also depends on the weekend plans made for him-- he has to the yard work, wash & maintain the vehicles even the ones he doesn't drive, take the nephew to and from Church or Sunday school, etc. Yes he is under his parent's roof but darn he has a life too. And for them to have an attitude because he didn't want to stay was incredibly selfish to me. It's not his child and he already does so much I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's like he's expected to do EVERYTHING he's asked to without complaining. He has no kids, he's saving his money to get his own house, he buys whatever they call and ask him for. I told my DH it just sounded like they were so ungrateful and unappreciative. Yet no one said anything about the mom who waited until Fri to let the child go, just went Sat to do shopping for the trip that's today, and rushed today to pack and make sure he had everything to last him since the trip is a week long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• If they are already in the care of other trusted adults than why would he have to sit there and wait? That makes no sense.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I don't see why it's the uncle's job to drive him in the first place. I think that while the uncle stays in the house he needs to make a list with his mom of what he is expected to do for chores and that's it, he shouldn't have to do more just because someone else can't handle their own stuff.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I don't remember ever having my parents wait for me to get on the bus except once. I think that they should be grateful he is helping them out as opposed to getting mad that he does not want to sit around. He could have said no altogether.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2012

• he is a grown adult with a job still living at home - yes they can expect him to jump when told --- he shoudl do whatever they ask - they need to not let grown ups mooch off them... because it makes adult babies - like the guy in the story...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• @AmaliaD that answer is ridiculous because you're grown your suppose to jump when tole. Totally f'd up and stupid that I hesitate to respond. Because your grown and at home is no reason to be expected to take care of someone else's child. Especially when the grandparents are already raising hm but the mom does see him like every other weekend maybe. He has no kids, working as much as he can to buy his own house and does all of the yard & vehicle maintenance. His freee time is already spent doing for other people when does he have the right to say no already.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2012